Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange problems with new (old) video card.

• Please log in to reply

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I know this is probably the last thing you guys want to read about but:

Well I just got a Geforce FX 5200 128MB AGP (yeah, I know..) and I'm having some problems.

When I first put it in and turned on my computer, the system didn't boot at all. Not even a beep. So I read up some things online and took an eraser to the gold fingers and applied a little wd-40 as well, and voila, it's working (supposed to help with connectivity). I have it in right now actually. BUT... I can't play any videos or anything! I tried to open the D drive which had the Sim City 4 CD, and the system rebooted. No game menu or anything. Then I tried to play a video file again and it rebooted. I updated my BIOS for my motherboard but that didn't do anything either. I'm wondering if this is a compatibility issue with my motherboard. It's an Asus A7V8X-X, so i figured it should work, but I don't know where to find this out. I know it's a crappy video card to begin with but it should still work, and it's definitely better than my old Geforce 2 GTS 32MB.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the nvidia drivers several times, also ran driver cleaner. My PSU is 400 watts. The CPU is an AMD XP2200 1.8 Ghz. I have 512 MB DDR 2700. So what's the problem? Any ideas?

I also messed around with some of the BIOS settings like Aperture size, CAS Latency, RAS to CAS Delay, Fast Write, etc, but didn't do too much because I didn't want to break anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by heli0s2003, 30 June 2005 - 05:57 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That video card is compatible with your system, you mentioned you messed with the ram timings (CAS latency ect.) If you did not know what you were doing with them I suggest you go into bios and load the optimized defaults to reset the values to stock.

Then run http://www.drivercleaner.net/ to remove any rements of the old driver and see if that helps.

Rick

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Should I go to add/remove programs and uninstall Nvidia drivers before I run Driver Cleaner?

Here are the defaults in my BIOS (Not Optimized):

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 3T
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 3T
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 7T
AGP Performance Control: Disabled (Should it be set like that?)
AGP Fast Write Control: Disabled (This too?)
Video Memory Cache Mode: UC (And this?)

Edited by heli0s2003, 30 June 2005 - 05:55 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your bios settings are ok for the ram and leave performance controll and fastwrite disabled for now to untill you get the computer stable then you may want to play with them.

Remove the old video drivers thru add/remove then run drive cleaner to see if it got them all

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I went ahead and ran Driver Cleaner then add/remove programs. I did this before I read your reply. I set all the BIOS defaults too. Wow, I went to play a video file..... I got the usual stall/freeze, but then an error message came up and all the colors went wild, somewhat inverted, and the video started playing. But this is the first time it didn't reboot. The error message read:

"The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality." It let me reboot.

I don't know if I want to call this progress but at least I didn't get the same results. The colors were like 8-bit mode inverted, to best describe it.

Well I'll try add/remove then Driver Cleaner this time to see if anything happens.

EDIT-
Ok, I did all of the above and this time it rebooted again when I tried playing a video.

I'm installing the drivers that came with the CD. Should I do it this way or run the exe's from Nvidia's website? I have the 71.84 and 77.72 updates.

Also, when I installed the drivers, I cancelled the add new hardware wizard and instead ran the CD install wizard. Should I have done it that way? Once again, thanks for the help.

Edited by heli0s2003, 30 June 2005 - 06:49 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would try all the drivers to see what one works if none do then the card must be bad.

You can install them from the new hardware wizard or the cd install wizard I don't see that affecting anything.

But again I am thinking you should return the card I have used FX 5200 in the past and they always installed without any problems

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, well I tried everything with no success. I got the card back in the box ready to send back. I think I'll try to pick up a better card this time. Could you recommend the best video card out right now in the $40 $80 range? Thanks again for the help Doby.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have a 5200 in this clunker ive got here at the mo and although mines works fine when it becomes overloaded it does that it tends to flash up with a frequency out of range warning or after i have oced have you tried turning down the core clock and memory frequencies.

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
What settings should I try?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
put them down by about ten percent if it will let you.

heli0s2003

heli0s2003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I messed around with it but nothing worked. I did noticed that in the device manager under the General tab for Location it says, Location 7, PCI Bus 1, device 0, function 0. Shouldn't it say AGP? I have PCI configuration in BIOS set to AGP, not PCI. Could this be the problem?