Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not being able to access some websites on IE6

• Please log in to reply

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
;)

Before you recomend me going to the hijack this board and such, i already did that. Ihad a trojan and a virus. They are gone. My computer is fine and all my reports turn out just fine. ;)

The only problem I am having in accessing some websites. I cannot get into my hotmail account. I can get to hotmail, type in my username and password, then I get a page saying that they cannot find page. I cannot go to many site, for example http://www.startsampling.com . Even if I am googling, say looking for website backgrounds, I will click on a website and will come up with that message.
:tazz:
This is frustrating. I have an small business that I work from at home since I am disabled. I cannot go to the sites that I do business with and get my supplies. I really need some help. Thanks in advance!

Jamica

Just some back up info, I run windows xp, sp2. I have mcaffees, but only the virus alert. My firewall is, I guess windows because I don't have any other.

Edited by deliriumcolor, 30 June 2005 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

fbspazzy

fbspazzy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
can you access tehm through other internet browsers? try firefox

Edited by fbspazzy, 30 June 2005 - 07:08 PM.

cnmsales

cnmsales

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Please delete temp files, cookies , and clear history. Set security and privacy down to default level. Clear SSL state. Reset Advanced tab to defaults. All these can be found in internet options in the control panel.

You may also want to make sure you dont have any proxies enabled.

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
fbspazzy,

I just downloaded firefox, and cannot access any of those websites. BTW, nice browser, I like it better than ie.

Jamica

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
cnmsales,

I did all that you suggested and it didn't change anything. :tazz:

Jamica

Also, I don't know about proxies or how I would disable them.

Edited by deliriumcolor, 01 July 2005 - 09:10 PM.

fbspazzy

fbspazzy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
do you have firewalls on? check their settings to see if they are blocking access.and yes, everyone likes firefox better :tazz:

errtzu

errtzu

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

http://www.startsampling.com . Even if I am googling, say looking for website backgrounds, I will click on a website and will come up with that message.

Were you able to access the site before your trojan & virus were fixed?

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
fbspazzy,

I have windows xp home firewalls on.

errtzu,

I was able to access those sites before getting hit with my virus and trojan. But since they have been fixed I haven't been able to access them.

Jamica

errtzu

errtzu

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I thought so, was just double checking ...

You're in the same boat as me, as well =/

I had a few problems and once they were fixed certain sites that have worked for years stop working with the "Page can not be displayed"...

And I don't think it's your firewall, either =/ ... But you can try what fbspazzy suggested ...

Umm, is it just your computer that won't let the sites work or do you have other pcs around the home that is having the same problem?

Edited by errtzu, 02 July 2005 - 07:18 PM.

deliriumcolor

deliriumcolor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
errtzu,

I am sorry to hear that you are having the same problems. It sucks! :tazz:

Unfortunately, I have only one operating computer. I am trying to figure out how to fix my other, which is dead due to one nasty virus and me getting a little to liberal with deleating the registry. I have heard others who try accessing websites through other computers and then the glitch is fixed, they can then go to those sites on their own computers and everything is fine. I cannot get to any other computers. ;)

Keep on trying to figure out what is going on. Btw, have you gone to microsoft help center? I don't find it very helpful at all.

Jamica

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Have you downloaded any new programs recently? Like, say, during the period of time when the issue starting cropping up? If so, try disabling them temporarily. Check your computer for the following software -

- firewalls
- anti-virus
- anti-malware/malware-removers
- browser protection
- any other forms of intrusion detection/intrusion prevention programs

I was able to access those sites before getting hit with my virus and trojan. But since they have been fixed I haven't been able to access them.

What software did you use to clean up your system with? It could be possible that one of the programs you used detected an important file on your PC that might have been essential for you to view those websites, as a form of malware and deleted it without you noticing - the program HijackThis especially. Users can be careless and select the wrong files to erase when using HijackThis, unintentionally causing even more problems for themselves.

errtzu

errtzu

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

have you gone to microsoft help center? I don't find it very helpful at all.

Yup, came up empty =/ ... Everybody keeps telling me its 'me' :tazz: ... not sure how that meakes sense, since None of the pcs in my home can access the sites, again used for years ;)

I’ve been doing my own research to find a permanent solution, since this has been going on for 2 months now and it's ridiculous how a site that has been used for years just stops working, or should I say WHILE I was using it, it stops working
-_-

Ill let you know if I find anything, hopefully soon since there are people who are in the same boat as us... not sure if it's good thing but there should be something out there to help us, lol ...

Oh, you can try surfing through this site, that’s what Ive been doing, recently, to find a solution since there are more boards on the “Page can not be displayed” error …

http://www.duxcw.com...dex.php?board=2

Edited by errtzu, 04 July 2005 - 07:51 AM.

robwgreen

robwgreen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Try this Fix:

Run the Registry Editor -- go to START - RUN - then type REGEDIT

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ Tcpip\ Parameters\ Interfaces.

There should be several subkeys under the Interfaces key; most likely, you'll find three or four. View the contents of each key by clicking, and find the one that corresponds to your primary network adapter;, it will be the one with more values than the other two, and will have an IP address value set to something like maybe 192.168.0.1

Once you've found the correct subkey, create a new DWORD value in it (Edit -> New -> DWORD Value), and name the value MTU.

Double-click the new value, choose the Decimal option, and type the MTU value 1492
Click Ok when you're done - you'll need to restart Windows for this change take effect.

Hutchy

Hutchy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Just to throw more suggestions into the mix; if you have reset the browser back to default levels etc you could try searching for a file on your machine called LMHOSTS or LMHOSTS.sam this would be in the format of a plain text file and could contain a list of the sites that you are unable to access, though this file is generally unused, some virus(i)/spyware/adware may bring it into play and use it to point websites back to an internal address on your network such as 127.0.0.1 or something similar or point to their own websites, so what would happen is if you input a website and it is in the LMHOSTS file with an incorrect ip address, the page would just time out or come back as not found etc.

What this file actually does in essence, is match website dns addresses to IP addresses, you can confirm a connection to websites by opening up a command line window start/run cmd.exe and typing in ping then the name of the website that you are trying to connect to e.g ping www.geekstogo.com, what will happen is that when you 'ping' the site it will send out four short bits of information to see if the remote website can 'hear' it, if successful you will see the remote site 'reply', if it is replying it is more than likely a dns setting or this lmhost file. If it comes back as timed out or a similar error message, you may have something else wrong on the machine that we'll have to investigate.

One thing I would add is that in a previous message there was a registry fix, I would certainly be inclined to backup the registry before any change to it, however minor, if something happens such as power failure or your machine is accidently turned off while editing the registry it 'could' corrupt it and you would have even more problems.

HTH

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

One thing I would add is that in a previous message there was a registry fix, I would certainly be inclined to backup the registry before any change to it, however minor, if something happens such as power failure or your machine is accidently turned off while editing the registry it 'could' corrupt it and you would have even more problems.

HTH

View Post

Listen to Hutchy, unless you have memorized every key in your registry. You know something will go wrong when it isn't supposed to. BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY