Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora Strikes Again [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I see quite a few worms that looks like they were e-mailed to you. I need to make sure none were downloaded.

Please download the Microsoft Malware Removal Tool

Install it, then run it, and let me know if it finds anything!

Advertisements

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I ran it and it didn't find anything. I hope that is a good sign? Does this mean the computer is finally free from viruses and malware? That would be a huge relief!!

grrlpwr

thanks!!

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Yes, that is an excellent sign! Post one more HiJackThis log and I'll tell you for sure :tazz:

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Okay,
Here it is- hopefully the final log. Two final notes, my co-worker did say her computer had been running slowly today- not sure if that gives you any hints or clues or allows you to provide any suggestions for speeding it up.

The second is when I go to add/remove programs and look at the list, there are over a dozen "programs" listed that say: Windows XP Hotfix and are followed by a number that starts with KB. They have no size and when you click on remove, a box comes up that says removing them will cause something to function incorrectly. Are those perhaps making the computer run slowly? When I was working with Excal, I had downloaded the SP1 patch and it didn't work the first time and I had to do it again. Are those components that maybe didn't load properly and need to be deleted? I tried to copy and past the list, but that feature is not available in add/remove programs.

Thanks for all your help!

grrlpwr

HijackThis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 3:23:15 PM, on 7/5/2005

Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe

C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe

C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe

C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasDtServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Netropa\Traymon.exe

C:\Program Files\Netropa\OSD.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jucheck.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE

C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopDisplay.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe

C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOE.exe

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OPScan.exe

C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
The HiJackThis log is double-spaced and is missing most of the log. Please repost it.

Here it is- hopefully the final log. Two final notes, my co-worker did say her computer had been running slowly today- not sure if that gives you any hints or clues or allows you to provide any suggestions for speeding it up.

We can remove optional items from startup to speed it up.

The second is when I go to add/remove programs and look at the list, there are over a dozen "programs" listed that say: Windows XP Hotfix and are followed by a number that starts with KB. They have no size and when you click on remove, a box comes up that says removing them will cause something to function incorrectly. Are those perhaps making the computer run slowly? When I was working with Excal, I had downloaded the SP1 patch and it didn't work the first time and I had to do it again. Are those components that maybe didn't load properly and need to be deleted? I tried to copy and past the list, but that feature is not available in add/remove programs.

These are completely legitimate - these are the Microsoft patches. Please do not remove these. This is not what is slowing the computer down.

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hmm,
that's weird. It wasn't double spaced in my reply.... here it is again....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:07:50 PM, on 7/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasDtServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\Traymon.exe
C:\Program Files\Netropa\OSD.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jucheck.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopDisplay.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOE.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://smbusiness.dellnet.com/
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\ycomp5_5_7_0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell|Alert] C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DellTouch] C:\WINDOWS\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasDTServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasDtServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sunasServ] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\CounterSpy Client\sunasServ.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Camio Viewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Computer\Dell Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\npjpi150.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1120173946718
O16 - DPF: {6CB5E471-C305-11D3-99A8-000086395495} - http://toolbar.googl...n/GoogleNav.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {8EDAD21C-3584-4E66-A8AB-EB0E5584767D} - http://toolbar.googl...gleActivate.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

sorry about that....

grrlpwr

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
The log looks fine! If it's slow it's because she has wayyy too many programs running for her computer. There are only a few we can remove from startup to try to speed it up a little - if you want to do that.

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sure, I would be happy to remove some programs if it will help her computer run faster. Is there a certain number that should be on a computer of its size and age?

grrlpwr

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm not referring to actually removing programs from the computer, but just removing some optional programs from startup. So that they can be run manually when she wants/needs them instead of them automatically running when the computer starts up. :tazz:

I will be right back with this fix!

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ahh.... Okay, sounds good. Looking forward to your suggestions.

grrlpwr

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
My comments are in red.

Run HiJackthis. Place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe <-System tray icon for Music Match. Can be run by going to Start > All Programs.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell|Alert] C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe <- "Dell Alert" utility, that's supposed to make interaction with Support easier. If she doesn't use it, it's just wasting memory and helping to slow the computer.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\jusched.exe <-Updater for Sun Java. Does not need to be on startup. It can be updated by going to Start > Control Panel and clicking the Java control panel.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install <-Associated with the newer versions of nVidia graphics cards drivers. Allows you to improve desktop layouts by setting preferences and optimizations. However, this isn't necessary for the operation of your system and does not need to be there particularly if she doesn't use the feauture.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background <-System tray icon for Windows Messenger. Can be run by going to Start > All Programs > Online Services.

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE <-Belongs to MS Office. Not needed and a huge resource hog.

Close HiJackThis.

Delete this file (in bold):

C:\WINDOWS\satmat.ini

Reboot then computer and let me know if it's running any faster. :tazz:

Edited by bananafanafo, 05 July 2005 - 02:51 PM.

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
okay, I was able to get into her computer and delete the startup suggestions and it does seem to be running a bit faster. Still pretty slow though for a computer that has no viruses and malware.

When you said she had a lot of programs on her computer, I looked through the list to see if there were any that could be removed that she wasn't using. One that I had a question about was Microsoft Interactive Training- it was a 126MB file that I was wondering if we could remove it. Any thoughts?

Also, now that there is no viruses and malware on the computer, should I go ahead and do all the Windows SP updates? Excal had only told me to do SP1 until we knew the computer was clean. Should I do the other updates now?

thanks!!

grrlpwr

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
There is one more program I want you to run. :tazz:

It's a really quick scan ;)

Please download Trend Micro™ Anti-Spyware for the Web Utility (by clicking the "Scan and Clean your PC" button).
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click the new icon on your desktop (tmas-web-scan.exe)
  • It will say "Loading TrendMicro definitions".
  • Once the definitions are loaded, the program will appear to close then re-open.
  • Click "Start Scan"
  • After it's done scanning, click "Scan Results"
  • Make sure all items found have a check next to them, then click "Clean Threats Now".
  • Click Exit.
Reboot your computer. In place of the TrendMicro icon will be a text file called "Antispyware.log", please double-click that log and copy the entire contents and paste them here.

grrlpwr

grrlpwr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I ran it and it said no spyware was found.

grrlpwr

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Then the system is clean, there are just too many programs running. One program I see running now that wasn't running previously is the Google Desktop Search. It may be sucking down memory. Does she absolutely need this program?

Also, please open CounterSpy and delete all files it has quarantined.

Also, we need to clear restore points to get rid of anything hiding out in system restore. But, I need to make sure there aren't any other problems before doing this.