Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem conecting to internet through router

• Please log in to reply

randy_blah

randy_blah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am currently at my fathers place n i have broght my laptop with me aswell as my router. i have been able to conect to the internet using the router for the desktop computer but the laptop seems to have problems. i am using a linksys router and i am running with a webstar modem if that is any help.

any help would be qreatly appreciated if u need more info just post it

Advertisements

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
what is the laptop interface?
wifi card? hard wire? (cat5 cable)

Is your laptop properly configured to access the net work?
Is the network setup to allow your (or any other) system use it?

To start try this:
take the cable from the modem, and plug it into your laptop. (assuming you have a connector for that purpose)
The browser and the operating should detect the request and autoconfigure the network settings (it does on my wife's laptop)

By connecting directly to the modem, your are eliminating one route of diagnosis.
Once you get the laptop to work with just the modem, at least you will know that you system can accept it.
Then reconnect the modem cable back to the router (make sure the desktop is getting the signal, then try to access the network using your laptop. If it is a cable connection, the laptop should not need to be reconfigured.
If it is a wifi card, then your laptop needs transition to recognize the wifi card as the source of the incomming signal.
You may have to go to the system tray (right side of your taskbar) and right click the connectivity icon. This will present you with options to select enable or disable certain connection features. Play with this and be patient.

Good luck.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
run the network wizard and select the interface for your default internet connection, also don't forget to select that this Pc connects directly to the internet. That should solve your problem.