Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROGRAMS WON'T OPEN :(

• Please log in to reply

tati80

tati80

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok here are the facts. I have ME, and for past two days I'd been noticing pop ups were coming up repeatedly on sites where they usually don't come up (my school's website) and even thouhgh I have a pop up blocker that's been great. The pc kept freezing last night. I'd also noticed an extra toolbar from "internet intelligence" was up. I don't remember diliberatly (sp) downloading anything like this. So I figured it downloaded and added all this bogus stuff to my pc.

Ok you're bored, I'll cut to the chase. I asked my friend to come over and help me figure out what it was and to delete some files. She deleted AOl, CompuServe, and a version of Internet Explorer that had numbers attatched to it. She said since I had my other internet Explorer, she'd just get rid of the weird looking one. So she deletes it all successfully, and everything is cool. She says she will install Norton AntiVirus to prevent anything like this from happening again. After she puts in the cd, installs and reboots, NOTHING CAN OPEN :tazz:

The message I get in WOrd for example is "windows cannot find 'C\\WINDWS\CALC.EXE'. yOU MAY HAVE TYPED THE NAME INCORRECTLY IN THE Run dialog, or anothe open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search". If I try opening Word, says the same thing except the it doesn't describe the file.

The only thing from the desktop it lets me open is My computer, and from there, I clicked on windows update on the side to get to the internet an post. When I restart the computer, I get about 6 popups like the one above. Can my computer go back to normal?

Thanks for your help guys!

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go, my name is phybyr0ptyk and I will be helping you today.

I have good news and I have bad news,
Bad news first, sounds like you have some nasty stuff running on your machine, and we will need to get it cleaned up.
The good news is if you would
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide. We can get you all cleaned up and back to normal in no time at all.

After we get you clean we can find out if there are any other underlying problems, I imagine that the deletion of IE may be a cause.

Going through this guide will take about an hour give or take. Just follow along step by step without skipping around, do them in order and when you are finally asked at the end to post your HiJack This log, please post it in the forum indicated not back here. :tazz:

One other note: Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox
If you decide to use FireFox, and need help installing or configuring, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you for your patience in the malware forums as the experts are busy. A staff member will be with you shortly. ;)

tati80

tati80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
First I want to thank you so much for replying and making me feel that the problemcan be resolved without losing anything ;) !

k first problem I'm having is after downloading Winsock, I a unable to run it. I get the same message I mentioned before. I didn't know if I should skip this step or not :tazz: .

tati80

tati80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't mean to bother the mods, but I was just curious if I were waiting for the same mod to answer my question :tazz:

Poetic.Garbage

Poetic.Garbage

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
If you are not having issues connecting to the internet you can skip the first step Preperation (the Winsock stuff).. and jump to the CleanUp!, and go from there.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes sorry if you can connect to the internet with no problems you can skip that step. I appologize for that.

kdzAmerigirl

kdzAmerigirl

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Help, please!!! My computer will not open any programs--not even Solitaire! It's an old Dell laptop (Windows XP). Every time I try to open something, it either wants me to "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" or it says, "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found." I tried going into Safe Mode to fix whatever problem I have, but I don't even know where to begin! :) Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. :)