Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WHEN YOU LAST FORMATTED YOUR PC

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nothing like cleaning the unnecesary things off your pc and reloading your essential backups back onto the pc to get it going like new again.

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

I format at LEAST twice a month EVERY month.  :tazz:

View Post

TWICE A MONTH!!!!! Man how many OS cd's have you bought????

dragonfire

dragonfire

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have just got rid of a few start up programs &it seems a lot better

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I reformat often enough and I recommend reformting as a way of renewing a computer, I tend to have little faith in spyware removal beyond the first simple steps and knocking out some well known baddies(not quite true, if I have to, I will fight using the spyware removal tools right till the end so I always follow the HJT logs here), it's just that I myself don't trust my computer to be 100% clean afterwards, nor can I see the point in the uncertainty of malware removal against the certainty of having a pristine system installed to ones specs. All meaning that, something I have said it in other threads, I sincerely believe that anyone who has just one sole computer with the same old solutions, however much that person may understand computers and however good those solutions may be, is skating on thin ice, not just because of malware's evoling beyond those solutions, nor because one learns nothing from not trying out new applications, nor because not changing means that anyone monitering your habits can build up a case against you(P2P users take note), but very simply because "if the harddrive goes" that the end full stop, one has nothing at all, such was as in the case of the many people here in Geneva who lost all their stuff in April lightning storm this year. I recommend an external harddrive with a least 40gb and a second computer to cover while the first is being repaired, and some other solution where possible for each application.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

TWICE A MONTH!!!!! Man how many OS cd's have you bought????

View Post

You don't need to buy a new OS cd every time you reinstall windows on your computer hehe. :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Yeh I know that but there is a limit on how many times you can re-install XP! Dont know about XP Home but on Pro one original CD can reformat 6 times!
RockyIV

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I think if one contact Micro$oft, explaning the reason for reformating one can do it as many time as one wishes, at least I have done so.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
Iknow I have reinstalled my xp home at 6 or 7 times without a glitch.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Okay so that means that technician lied.....!!!!!!

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
never reformatted ! takes too long ! :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
LOL, it only takes an hour.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Well yeah but then you will have to install all updates, softwares and other neccesary items! In all it took me around two hours to format my dad's computer!
RockyIV