Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP go POOF!

• Please log in to reply

Azazel

Azazel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,,,
I started off with a pagefile error which i could not get rid of for love nor money and i would have been here for that if it was not for tha fact that after i tried to do a repair install i got the message "NTLDR missing" press cntrl+alt_del to restart..

If i boot off my windows Xp cd, and start copying acrros files,,, i seem to have problems copying NTLDR and NTDETECT.com,,,, if i try and copy then manually in the recovery console, i get the message "access denied".... and no amount amount of tampering so far has yielded any success in trying to resolve this problem short of formatting my machine, which is certainly not an ideal situation....i need to get data off first.....PLEASE HELP me, im very befuzzzzzzeld

Thanx :tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you only can perform the above operation if you are the administrator of this pc, hence you need to enter the administrator password.

Edited by samiko, 01 July 2005 - 09:15 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the recovery console requires the admin account, so if he is in it, that is not the issue.

When you say copying...are you referring to windows setup or repair?

Clean your windows cd in warm soapy water and try again