Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Switching processor type in Windows

• Please log in to reply

Pantelones

Pantelones

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, thanks for reading...

I wanted to know if anyone might have any suggestions on how I can get my current copy of Windows (which was installed with a Pentium) to run off of a new AMD x64 system?

I am able to get to the windows boot menu, but whether or select "boot windows normally," "safe mode," etc, windows will crash while booting.

Thank you in advance for your help with this one.

-JC

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can't, it will keep crashing.
Your HAL (Hardware Access Layer) has changed, a very necessary component has been swaped hence it won't communicate properly with that new component, hence will crash.

you need to install it using the AMD processor.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
fraid so, the only hope you had was to run a repair installation the very first time you tried to boot (and that works only about 50 percent of the time). after the first boot, you are in permanent registry corruption land.