Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defragmentation Problem

• Please log in to reply

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well I wasn't sure where to put this as it has 2 sides to it. :tazz:

Well, I was defragmenting my computer yesterday but I didn't get to finish because I had a blackout in my area. Using this guide on Steam:

1) Right-click My Computer, select Properties.
2) Advanced tab, hit the "Settings' button under the Performance area.
3) Go to the Advanced tab and click the Change button under Virtual Memory.
4) Click on the drive(s) at top with swap file(s) on it/them and select "No paging file" click on through any warnings.
5) Click OK all the way back.
6) It will ask you to reboot.. do so.
7) Now run defrag on the proper drive and/or partition where the new page file will go (see above for what to choose). Defrag is as simple as double-click on My Computer, then right-click/Properties on the desired drive... go to Tools and select Defrag.. run it to completion.
8) Afterwards, go back to My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance/Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory Change button
9) Pick the correct and freshly defragged drive and make the MIN say 1536, MAX 1536 (make both min and max the same size), hit SET. Say OK to the warning it gives you
10) Click OK all the way back and it will force you to reboot. Do so.

Well, when I turned on my computer today when the power came back, all my Steam Source games (HL2, CSS, HL2DM) don't work anymore. When it's loading a game or starting a server, I hear two error sounds and the computer freezes. Would my partial defragmentation have anything to do with it? Or I'm also thinking about the "No Paging file" thing on step 4. Should I reset that to make it work? Or should I finish my defrag? It all worked before with no probs.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
yes. what you need to do is run a chkdsk. easiast way is to go to start, run, type in cmd. once its open type in "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes. it should prompt you to run at at next boot.

reboot and let it run.

you probably have a screwed up index is all.

once thats run you can finish your defrag.

beware if you get anything in the summary of the check in the "bad blocks" then you are will be needing a hard drive replacement.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
does it reeboot thw whole of your system???