Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My HJT Log [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Hi again Logan :tazz:

Ok lets address those two areas of concern first.

This file.

O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com is associated with TDS trojan hunter, it's not a baddie. If you no longer use TDS let me know and i can remove that for you.

The second one is associated with quicktime a viewer, music player that sort of thing. To get rid of that just remove your quicktime from add/remove programs and reinstall it, that should help clear that screen.

Now back to the log.

Something i seem to have overlooked, do you run two antiviruses? I see AVG and McAfee in your log.

Anti-Virus programs take up an enormous amount of your computer's resources when they are actively scanning your computer. Having two anti-virus programs running at the same time can cause your computer to run very slow, become unstable and even, in rare cases, crash.

If you choose to install more than one Anti-Virus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There are basically two types of these programs:
On-Access and On-Demand

On-Access Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that run in the background all the time the PC is turned on and running. The main function of an On-Access scanner is to monitor activity on your machine.

On-Demand Scanners
As the name implies, are scanners that only run when you ask them to.
Such as:
Online Scans and scanners that run on your machine but are not actively scanning your machine.

Thanks to rstones12 for that canned

I want you to try and end a process for me if you can.

Click on Start, then on Run and type this in the box :

services.msc

and hit "Enter". Scroll down the list until you find this Service :

NET Framework Service

When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok and close any open windows.

I also want you to try this tool out for me.

New Net Removal Tool

So to sum all this up, if you have 2 av's going, make sure to disable one of them, run that first instruction i gave you and then run the new net uninstaller.

After that please repost your log. ;)

Edited by John_L, 07 July 2005 - 11:53 AM.

Advertisements

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Sorry it was another research sire that my girlfriend was talking about =P
and i still use TDS

i dont use mcafee.. it must have been on this computer before i got it from my my mom.. il uninstall that.

i downloaded the New thing and it gave me an uninstall icon.. is that what im supposed to run? im guessing it uninstalls spyware?

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
ok so i uninstalled that stuff

mcafee was already uninstalled theres just a folder left that it wont let me delete with like 9 files in it

and i just use AVG and eWido

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:22:37 PM, on 7/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: AutoPlay.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neededware.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {48884C41-EFAC-433D-958A-9FADAC41408E} (EGamesPlugin Class) - https://www.e-games....GamesPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1120244994748
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine (MCVSRte) - Unknown owner - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Windows User Mode Driver Framework (UMWdf) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
I need to know are you sure that you are running avg and want to get rid of those McAfee files?

I will await your answer before i write anything down for you to do, i just need to confirm. :tazz:

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
yes i am positive that AVG is what i want and not mcafee

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Ok then Logan this comes next.

Click on Start, then on Run and type this in the box :

services.msc

and hit "Enter". Scroll down the list until you find these Services :

McAfee.com McShield
McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager
McAfee.com VirusScan Online Realtime Engine

When you find them, double-click on each one. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok and close any open windows.

After that please reboot and send me a new hijack log :tazz:

Edited by John_L, 07 July 2005 - 09:59 PM.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Here ya are...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:10:13 AM, on 7/8/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cidaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O1 - Hosts: 64.91.255.87 www.dcsresearch.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IeCatch2 Class - {A5366673-E8CA-11D3-9CD9-0090271D075B} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\jccatch.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CamMonitor] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Unload\hpqcmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\PROGRA~1\Java\J2RE14~1.2\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tgcmd] "C:\Program Files\Support.com\BellSouth\hcenter.exe" /starthidden /tgcmdwrapper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: AutoPlay.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All by FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_all.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using FlashGet - C:\Program Files\FlashGet\jc_link.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &FlashGet - {D6E814A0-E0C5-11d4-8D29-0050BA6940E3} - C:\PROGRA~1\FlashGet\flashget.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neededware.com
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....204&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {48884C41-EFAC-433D-958A-9FADAC41408E} (EGamesPlugin Class) - https://www.e-games....GamesPlugin.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1120244994748
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Windows User Mode Driver Framework (UMWdf) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
um i know the rules say no bumping but im leaving tomorrow morning for a month and id like to have this completed before i go. :tazz:

Thanks ;)

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hmm, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to get to my log tonight.

May I ask a HUGE favor of you? As you might have noticed, I have decided to try to start helping this site out and am currently enrolled Geek U.

I'm having trouble finding the baddies in HJT logs, as of right now I'm going through each individual entry and marking out the ones I knows as "clean," and then googling the rest. This takes up quite a bit of time, is there a faster way of doing it?

Also, I was wondering if you would mind telling me what you did before you posted every post, like how you decided what to tell me to do, how you decided what I should install, etc.

p.s. It's no problem at all if you don't have time to do all that.
p.s.s Looking over my log it looks clean, but this is my first attempt at a log...

Edited by logan11, 08 July 2005 - 10:25 PM.

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Sorry Logan I couldn't get here any earlier this evening, had guests come in form out of town, that i have'nt seen in some time. I also have a real job so i just do this in my spare time when i have some.

So you have decide to enroll in Geek U? good job and maybe someday i will see you posting on the board as a trusted helper.

As far as answering them questions goes, you will be taught all that in Geek U, its a journey by itself but you will be taught by some of the best in the business :tazz: I would rather you learn in a structured environment where you can ask the teachers those type of questions as that's why they are there to answer all the questions you may have.

Now onto that log.

You are clean Congrats!!!!

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free ;)

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Sygate Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitaly important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, i suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. Ccleaner

Lastly a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe :

Rav Online Scan Housecall Online Scan Panda Activescan

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

Good luck and safe surfing ;)

Advertisements

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thank You SO Much. :tazz:

I learned so much just by reading over the posts we've made and looking at what you've done.

Thank you again for volunteering your time and helping me with my problem.

logan11

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Your very welcome Logan, it's been my pleasure :tazz:

Hope to see you posting out here someday, good luck with Geek U ;)

John_L

John_L

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.