Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and dial up

• Please log in to reply

clare

clare

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello I am new and wondered if anyone could help.

I have an old pc, pentium 3, 450mhz, which I recently installed XP on to it. This runs fine, although when I try and dial out, the internal modem makes a clicking noise as if to dial out and I get "no dial tone".

I checked the phone line and there is a tone, I dialed the number using my phone and it connects me to a server. I tried moving the pc to another phone line and still get the same problem. I have tried various things, changing fire wall and double checking the leads were connected corrently etc and nothing is working. Is it something really obvious?

I wondered if anyone has had this problem before? I would be really grateful for some advice.

Thank you ever so much

Clare <_<

Advertisements

calx

calx

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Have you checked for the most up to date driver for your modem. I ended up getting a new USB modem because my internal one just wouldn't work with XP.

Just a thought.

clare

clare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Would I be able to download and save it onto disk?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question

Thanks

clare

clare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry me again! <_<

I am found a driver to download - I think.... although not sure it "covers" XP or just goes up to 98. Can anyone clarify this for me.

:D

http://members.drive...&action=summary

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
Not sure which modem your using :D
However, i'm quite confident, looking at the page you've found the right place. <_<

Hugo van Dijk

Hugo van Dijk

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Would I be able to download and save it onto disk?

Sorry if this is a really obvious question

Thanks

View Post

you can always run it in compatibel mode.

clare

clare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello tried a new driver no luck!! :D

I am running XP with a HSP56 Micromodem - made by PC Tel. I am still getting the a message "no dial tone"

The modem clicks twice to dial out and nothing, so got a new update and still no luck - anyone got any ideas?

Thank you and sorry for being a pain in the butt! <_<

Hugo van Dijk

Hugo van Dijk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
did u make sure the wireing is ok, and that your browser has the right settings to make a dial-up connection. (i realy should look at your settings, thats the place where it goes wrong) is your modem already detected by xp (and did it get a standard xp driver to work).

Lowie99

Lowie99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
<_<

Hi there.

Just to say that I have exactly the same Modem as Clare. Have just upgraded to Windows XP (Home edition). The modem was working fine before in Windows 98 and I now have exactly the same problem where I cannot get a dial up.

To date I have.

1) Tried looking for a better driver on the XP disk.
2. Downloaded the Micromodem driver from driverguide.com and it sticks with the default driver.
3) The modem is currently in Port (com3) and I have tried to change it to other (com 1) or (com2)
4) Tested the line
5) Uninstalled and then searched for the modem using XP
6) Checked the settings (i.e Dial up No's etc,)
5) Started going mad.

None of the above have worked so if anyone has got any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

tipc

tipc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh, Boy,

I have the same problem as Clare and Lowie 99. I just did an upgrade from Win98 to XP on a 4 year old HP Pavillion laptop. System requirements matched the laptop; however, there were several compatibility problems with software and hardware previously running and installed on my laptop. I ended up doing a full system recovery and then doing the up grade. The only reported campatibiliy problem reported was with MS Money 99, a program that I don't even use.

I still have the problem with the modem. It worked fine in 98 and will not udder a peep in XP. It is a 56.6 Kflex V90 modem than I can not change since I am dealing with a laptop. When I give the command to dial, there is no dial tone and the poor computer keeps trying. According to diagnostics, the modem is present and working fine. But a query of the modem brings up nothing. One line in the query states that a string is not right. The other problem I found is that the modem reports to be on Com 3 and when I check the com ports, there is only com1. It is possible that I need to change the com port for this modem, but how? It was a heck of lot easier under Windows 3.1 (that date's me!) and Win95, but these newer versions are getting more secretive, I think.

Is there any hope for changing a com port? Or is there something else I can do.

Thanks for any help that will get me back on line.

Tipc

Advertisements

Lowie99

Lowie99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Frustrating isn't it.

Just to let you know that I also saw the modem was automatically located on Com 3 and changed it to another port ( Modem advanced settings) and I still could not get dial up so I don't think that this will solve the problem.

Hope someone can help us!

Thanks!

Oh, Boy,

I have the same problem as Clare and Lowie 99.  I just did an upgrade from Win98 to XP on a 4 year old HP Pavillion laptop.  System requirements matched the laptop; however, there were several compatibility problems with software and hardware previously running and installed on my laptop.  I ended up doing a full system recovery and then doing the up grade.  The only reported campatibiliy problem reported was with MS Money 99, a program that I don't even use. 

I still have the problem with the modem.  It worked fine in 98 and will not udder a peep in XP.  It is a 56.6 Kflex V90 modem than I can not change since I am dealing with a laptop.  When I give the command to dial, there is no dial tone and the poor computer keeps trying.  According to diagnostics, the modem is present and working fine.  But a query of the modem brings up nothing.  One line in the query states that a string is not right.  The other problem I found is that the modem reports to be on Com 3 and when I check the com ports, there is only com1.  It is possible that I need to change the com port for this modem, but how?  It was a heck of lot easier under Windows 3.1 (that date's me!) and Win95, but these newer versions are getting more secretive, I think.

Is there any hope for changing a com port?  Or is there something else I can do.

Thanks for any help that will get me back on line.

Tipc

View Post

clare

clare

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey everyone

I just wanted to say I am still having this problem!

<_<

tipc

tipc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Clare and Lowie,

I have looked at the com port settings and on both of my computers com 1 is shown as in use. On the laptop I disconnected the printer, but forgot to leave the flash drive connected to the USB port. Hm? However, I think the printer port is not a com port since it is labeled LPT1 and the USB port is something else. I am going to keep trying to find the source of the problem through the on-board dianostics and trouble shooting method. I also have a fully functional desktop that I can check settings through. If I come up with a solution in the next feww weeks...work 24/5...I will let you in on the situation.

Keep up the search.

Tipc

alfieboy

alfieboy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I use the pc tel chipset modems in XP with No problem..the main thing is THEY MUST BE COM 3..go to hardware remove ALL modems
Open case,...remove the modem.. restart..then shutdown... reinstall modem in mobo.. restart...
Try that.. if not there is a little playing to get it,but they work good when used.. main thing is com3

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Clare

You might want to check out this site to see if the driver available will work for you, your modem is on the HCL on Microsoft, designed for XP logo,

http://www.conexant....verdownload.jsp

Don't forget to download and do the Read Me file first, mentions uninstalling your older driver, and running the newer install. XP is good, but when updating from an older OS it will keep alot of older stuff around. <_<

Tipc

Sorry, I have a Compaq 5550 laptop with the 56.6 Kflex V90 modem, I cannot find the link anymore but the modem is not upgradable to XP, no drivers will be made for the modem, and support for the modem is not covered by Compaq anymore. Looks like you might have to go for a PCMCIA modem or get an external modem to use. :D