Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 6

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
:tazz: Hi I have downloaded IE 6 and installed it, I think. Anyway it shows up somewhere on my system information as being my browser.

Here in the past few weeks I have been having a problem with internet explorer encountering a problem and having to close.

I send microsoft all of those little reports whenever that stuff happens, and I have been getting back a notice from them saying that if I install IE6 that should cure my problem.

As I said, I have long ago done that through auto updates, and manually three different times, and Internet Explorer is still crashing.

I have also noticed that as my virus checker runs it is showing IE 5 in the stuff that it is scanning. Is there something else that I need to do to be sure that IE 6 is installed, properly, and working?

Thanks for any advice, Wendy

Edited by wendy k. walker, 01 July 2005 - 03:07 PM.

Advertisements

fbspazzy

fbspazzy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Try completely uninstalling IE5 before installing a fresh copy of IE6 and that should solve your problem, if nto im sure someone else who is more experienced than i can help you.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi fbspazzy, I almost did that too, however I do not know what I am doing and I am afraid that if I compleately uninstalled IE 5 that I would loose all of the favorite, or book mark things that I have. Thanks Wendy

fbspazzy

fbspazzy

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hmm..then i dont know what to tell you.. use firefox :tazz:

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
:tazz: Well I have already downloaded firefox, but I'm not too sure that it wants to work with my DSL. It acts kind of weird. ♥ Wendy

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay. After reading a couple of the messages you have posted on the forums (including this one), I'm pretty sure now that the problem lies more with your computer itself than anything else. Firefox is one of the more efficient browsers available currently, right up there alongside Opera and other highly-acclaimed Internet browsers. It shouldn't 'act kind of weird' or 'not want to work with your DSL', or do anything else other than making your Internet browsing sessions faster, more secure and enjoyable.

Please go here for detailed instructions on how to clean up your system properly. You reported a problem using the CleanUp! utility in one of your other threads, so you might want to give that program a miss, and do that step by yourself manually instead. Things to clear would be your temporary Internet files, cookies and browsing history. Do that for Internet Explorer, Firefox and any other browser you currently have installed on your PC. Also try out WinASO Registry Optimizer if you want to give your system a more efficient deep cleaning. Take note, however, that the free version of that product will only fix up ten errors at a go, and you'll probably have to repeat scanning and repairing a good many times before your computer is finally free of obsolete entries.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi cassykins, Thanks for the info, I'll take any help that I can get. I am off to go get winASO Bye Wendy

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hey, about firefox acting weird, I ment that it was new to me and it felt strange trying to get use to it.

I have started using firefox more now, today it had a hang, and I had to terminate it.

Here is something else that is troubling to me, when I tried to submit the error report it jacked my CPU usage to 100%. I let it stay like that for well over a minute and it never indicated that it was connected to the server so I closed out the report box.

The report thing has been doing a lot of that too, I got a gost somewhere.
Bye Wendy