Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

print server and pritner compatibility issues

• Please log in to reply

shenke

shenke

• Pip
  • 4 posts
...help me!?

I have a d-link dp-311p print server that is operational and works fine. However, it is connected to an HP 9650 deskjet printer that it cannot seem to talk to. When we access the print server's innards, it shows us its statusm, but it cannot find any information on the printer's model and make. SO we think there is a compatibility issue. IF you have seen this problem, or know what is going on, please let me know!

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Are you connecting via the usb or parallel

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
I have seen a similar problem with HP Printers using a print server. It did turn out to be a compatibility issue. I recommend calling HP, telling them the model of your printer. When I ran into the problem, it turned out that there was only one print server that was compatible with that printer and we had to special order from HP. Wasn't cheap, but worked.

Greazy Mcgeezy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i have yet to find a non HP print server that works CORRECTLY with an HP printer....HP doesn't really llike you using other devices with their stuff...i've even had a few HP printers that wouldn't work right without an HP printserver..even if it was directly connected to the PC

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

i have yet to find a non HP print server that works CORRECTLY with an HP printer....HP doesn't really llike you using other devices with their stuff...i've even had a few HP printers that wouldn't work right without an HP printserver..even if it was directly connected to the PC

AGREED!!! I have had both of those scenarios also, in the first post that I mentioned ordering the HP "special" print server. It did work, but barely. It still kept going into somekind of sleep mode and not being able to use it until you restart the printer... NOW I KNOW WHY I NEVER LIKED HP!! Well, them or Compaq, but I guess it's two crappy companies instead of one now.

Greazy Mcgeezy

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
and gateway....gateway f-ing sucks too