Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD 2800 Processor

• Please log in to reply

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

I recently purchased an AMD Athlon XP 2800 266 FSB and successfully installed it into my computer. The problem is when I start my computer it recognizes it as a AMD 1900 processor and it runs at only 1.6 GHz. Can anyone help me fix this problem or, if I have to, overclock my CPU? Thanks!

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
what speed ram are you using

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Your processor is a 333mhz not 266mhz so set the fsb to 333 and it will run at its rated speed of 2083mhz

Rick

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My processor is 266 MHz. I know it sounds strange, but its true. Will you still be able to help me with this. Thanks for the quick replies.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
As long as you are 100% sure its a 266, nobody is going to argue with. Doesn't sound strange at all. AMD makes a 3000+ 266MHz CPU too. Check your Bus speed - could be you don't have it set at 266. You may also need to look into a BIOS update as your Motherboard may predate this CPU, requiring a BIOS update (assuming there is support for this CPU). Have you tried setting the Bus speed and multiplier manually? It would be helpful if you let us know what your motherboard make, model and revision # is. Then Doby can fix you right up.

:tazz:

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I have and Elite Group K7S5A (3.1) Motherboard. I'm not really good with computers, so I'm not familiar with changing bus speeds through BIOS. I downloaded and implemented the latest BIOS for my mother board. It was the latest one available from ECS for my motherboard. Thanks again for the supoer speedy response.

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Could someone please give me instructions to bring my processor to perform not as an Athlon XP 1900 but as the 2800 that it is. If it means going into BIOS, please help me through it. Thanks again.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you run some bencharking software like sis to check if it is actually performing like a 1900 and not what you said it should be, also was it a proper retail box because a retail box will mean you have a full warranty and are entitled to tech support from AMD and they are better than all of us.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
If no one has responded by tonight, I'll look up your motherboard and try to gt back to you. Just don't have the time right now and am not familiar with that board off the top of my head. If you can set it manually, it should be 17x133. Thats 266 (133x2) Bus speed and the multiplier is 17. Should find that on the first or second page of your BIOS but again, I don't know your board so would have to look it up for specifics.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Rockster2U,

Could you please help him out as I am going on a trip for 1 week and have to leave shortly

Rick

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Doby:

Be glad to- just am not going to get to it until tonight . Have a safe trip - your presence here will be missed.

Regards,

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
bobertfrat:

According to the ECS website ( not necessarily accurate), your board only supports up to a 2600+. The latest BIOS is 1.0g datd 03/08/02. And, your CPU configuration can be found in the BIOS on the page labeled CPU PNP Page.

Since you've assured us this is a 266MHz Thoroughbred, not a 333MHz Barton - the clock speed should be (133x2) or 266 and the multiplier is 17 (as previously stated) and it runs at 2261MHz. This (2800+ Thoroughbred) is an extremely rare CPU.

If you can't get this to run on that board, you may want to call ECS and ask them if there is a beta BIOS that was ever written for your processor.

Good Luck.

bobertfrat

bobertfrat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Many thanks to everyone who helped out. I went to the CPU PnP page and changed the CPU frequency and DRAM freq. from 100 to 133 MHz. I restarted and the computer recognizes it as a 2600 processor. CLose enough and my computer now runs at 2.1 GHz, close to what the 2800 should of run at. Before installing the processor, I installed teh newest BIOS for the K7S5a (3.1) mothernboard, but I'm not sure if that was teh best one. If you could find out if there is a better one that I could use, please respond. I promise that's teh last question. :tazz: Once again, thanks for all your help.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good News ........ Since the BIOS I referenced is a couple of years old and you said you updated to the most recent - I'd recommend you leave well enough alone and enjoy that puppy as is. They are probably one in the same. Of note, ECS also referenced leaving the BIOS alone if things are working properly. That's good advice from any quarter.

Should you ever have any problems down the road or if you decide to buy a new computer a couple of years from now - just remember you have a very rare and somewhat valueable CPU. Its already a classic.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you could make a decent profit if you sold it i know a few guys who would love to get there hands on a 2800+ Xp.