Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen upon startup

• Please log in to reply

angelita1212

angelita1212

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I recently had a bunch of fatal errors on my computer, preventing it from starting. A friend got the computer to turn on without the fatal errors, however windows was not starting. So i inserted a windows xp professional startup disk, and proceeded to install windows. At some point in the setup i was confronted with an option to save something (i'm not sure exactly what) and i thought that i clicked yes. I turned my computer off. When i turned my computer back on, all i am faced with is a black screen with a flashing cursor. I inserted the cd, and the computer will not start running it. I am stuck!!!

Help me please!!
Angela

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi Angela. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Since you have a WXP Pro installation cd, put that in the cd drive, then re-boot the computer. If it does not boot up to the windows cd, you will have to access the bios (usually done by pressing del as the computer is booting), and change the boot order to boot to cd first, then the hard drive. If you can boot to the cd, you can try re-installing.

angelita1212

angelita1212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I managed to do that, but now i have run into another problem. I installed windows fine. The next day, i turn the computer on, and all i get is a black screen saying boot from cd, press any key to continue. If i put in the windows cd again, it attempts to lead me to install windows again...how can i get the one i installed to work? Or is my computer just done, and i need to get a new one?

Thanks again,
Angela

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Can you boot into safe mode? Press the F8 key during boot up process.

What happens when you boot and respond to "press any key to continue" prompt?

Edited by austin_o, 04 July 2005 - 06:19 AM.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

but now i have run into another problem. I installed windows fine. The next day, i turn the computer on, and all i get is a black screen saying boot from cd, press any key to continue.

Thats because your BIOS is still set to load the CDROM drive before your hard drive. If you actually don't press the button it will bypass that black screen and load into the Windows OS.

Since Windows is re-installed, Go back into the BIOS and change the boot up sequence back to the way it was or just wait a few seconds and let the system load into windows by it's self.

Or is my computer just done, and i need to get a new one?

LMFAO.

On a side note austin_o what are you talking about?

angelita1212

angelita1212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
when i inserted the windows cd again, it attempted reinstall again. I turned the computer off and restarted again without the cd...and it never moved from the insert cd and press any key to continue screen. I cannot even get windows to start again, so i cannot put it into safe mode.

what confuses me is that on my computer that is working, my boot sequence is 1. cd rom, 2. floppy, 3. hard drive and i have never encountered any problems like this with start up.

Thanks again,
angela

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thats because your BIOS is still set to load the CDROM drive before your hard drive. If you actually don't press the button it will bypass that black screen and load into the Windows OS.

View Post

Wondering what you are talking about here..

I have two XP ProSP2 systems, 1 XP Home SP2 system and a Win98SE and WinME system allm with the BIOS set to boot the cd-rom first and have never had that problem !!

Murray

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

my boot sequence is 1. cd rom, 2. floppy, 3. hard drive and i have never encountered any problems like this with start up.

angelita1212

If that is your boot sequence

1. CDROM

2. FLOPPY

3. Hard drive

What your telling your computer to do is boot from the CD drive before trying to boot from the hard drive, therefore if CDROM is your first piece of hardware to execute then it will give you the message boot from cd, press any key to continue all you need to do is reboot PC load in the BIOS by pressing (F1, F2, DEL) and change the boot sequence to

1. Hard drive

2. CD ROM

3. Floppy

then reboot PC. Now this will tell the system to load from the Hard drive first, this will remove boot from cd, press any key to continue message and load windows from the hard drive.

WinME system

LMFAO. I hope this answer's both your questions.

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
EDIT sorry about the double post.

Edited by Irongeek, 04 July 2005 - 07:57 PM.