Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer won't post

• Please log in to reply

Schiffy

Schiffy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
i just ordered parts for a new computer, put them togther, fans, lights all turn on, i can hear the hard drive going, but nothing posts on my monitor, cept "no signal"

the computer is
asus a8v deluxe
amd athlon 64 3500+
1gbx2 pqi ddr pc3200
250gig serial seagate hd
geforce 6800gt
atx 520w psu

this is the first time i have used a serial harddrive, but i dont think that has to do with the system not posting

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
is the video card installed right. If so does the mobo have integrated video. If so try that.

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

is the video card installed right. If so does the mobo have integrated video. If so try that.

View Post

ive tried mutiple vid cards, it still hasnt posted, and the mobo does not have integrated video ;), its killin me i just want a workin comp again :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Can you get into setup? If so, choose Load BIOS defaults. See if it POSTs then. Can you boot from a boot floppy? If your going to load from a CD-ROM you'll need to set it to boot from the rom drive. Your computer is brand new, is there anything on the hard drive yet?

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Can you get into setup? If so, choose Load BIOS defaults. See if it POSTs then. Can you boot from a boot floppy?  If your going to load from a CD-ROM you'll need to set it to boot from the rom drive. Your computer is brand new, is there anything on the hard drive yet?

View Post

nothing shows up the screen, at all. there is nothing on the hard drive, this is also the first time i have used a serial raid hd before, could that do nething of it?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please try this guide to see if it helps, then post back

Rick

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi,

Please try this guide to see if it helps, then post back

Rick

View Post

yeh that is how i found this forum, by finding yer guide, but i followed everything and still the same, no beeps or nehting

Edited by Schiffy, 01 July 2005 - 06:53 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try removing the ram then power on to force a beep code, then do the same with the video card. If you don't get any beeps and you did everthing in the guide you should try a different psu (power supply) if you can barrow one.

If after trying another power supply the results are the same then its either a bad cpu or mobo hard to tell witch but with the lack of beeps my guess is the mobo (motherboard)

Rick

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i did both, no beeping at all, but how am i spose to know if i have to replace the cpu or mobo

i also found this http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well its very hard to be sure if its the cpu or mobo without swaping one or the other but you still need to try another psu this could cause it to.

If after trying another psu my guess is the mobo

Rick

Advertisements

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
just tried different psu, same thing :tazz: but here is the deal, my case doesnt have an internal speaker, so i tried 2 from old cases. no beeping, also my ram, is not on asus list of compatible ram, but people on newegg had it with this mobo...

btw i appreciate your help, very fast response ;)

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't think its the ram because when you remove the ram the system should beep because it can't find any usuable memory. Make sure the speaker is connected properly

Just because it ain't on asus's list don't mean it won't work it only means they have not officialy tested that brand of ram with there boards. The ram you listed in your specs is compatible as far as speed so it should work.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Also the fact that the lights and fans and drive spin up and you have tried multipule video cards indicates to me that something is wrong on the agp or pci buss of the mobo

Schiffy

Schiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok, i went over to my buds popped my proc in his comp, starts up all fine, so it comes to be that my mobo, brand new from new egg, is broken :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
That was my guess to begin with but the good news is newegg has a great return policy so get a new mobo and all will be well

Rick