Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp repair preformed still no internet access

• Please log in to reply

ststeveo

ststeveo

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi- I came from malware hijack this and network forums. Hope you can help. After virus infection I lost internet connection in live, but not in safe mode with networking :tazz: . I tried repair for xp but that did not restore network connectivity. Ping looks the same in live and safe. I've tried set up for internet access and get error 711. I've tried setting up new network but it can't finish because of configuration errors. I've been back to try xp repair again but it says still installing when I boot from cd. Should I quict and restart an install to get back to repair? Please help
;)

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
You can try creating another account on your machine and login to that account. See if the internet would work for you.
other than that you might have to re-install windows.
Not sure what was the problem originally and what has been done during the fix. You might have deleted a valid file by mistake.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

See if one of these helps you...
Johanna

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried a reinstall and the ip fixes but nothing seems to work. Why would safe mode allow internet but not Live :tazz: Is there a program running in live that is shut down in safe mode?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In safe mode, most of the drivers usually loaded with Windows are not. Because you can connect to the internet in Safe Mode, something in the full boot is preventing access. Have you tried uninstalling the modem, rebooting and letting XP "find" it, then either getting the correct driver from XP's generic stash, or from the manufacturer's website? (I'm wondering if the drivers for the modem or ethernet device are not right, and in safe mode XP is using its generic ones?)Have a look in Device Mgr and see if you spot any errors. Also, check your event logs.

How do you connect to the internet? Is there a "limited or no connectivity" message in regular mode?

Johanna

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I connect to the internet from a DSL LAN. It seems to be working and shows packets sent in status. I tried uninstalling the ethernet card and the ISP software, then reinstalling but the same thing happens. Microsoft support had me suspend startup processes but that did not let connectivity return. I don't know what could be running that would impede this unless it is a faulty program in XP but I tried repairing it several times.
Any other ideas?
Steve

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Reaching deep in my bag of tricks...
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK out

HTH
Johanna

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Hi-  I came from malware hijack this and network forums.  Hope you can help.  After virus infection I lost internet connection in live, but not in safe mode with networking  :tazz: .  I tried repair for xp but that did not restore network connectivity.  Ping looks the same in live and safe.  I've tried set up for internet access and get error 711.  I've tried setting up new network but it can't finish because of configuration errors.  I've been back to try xp repair again but it says still installing when I boot from cd.  Should I  quict and restart an install to get back to repair?  Please help
;)

View Post

I think that you should try re-use- network wizard again, (I think that it what it is called), try that.

The reason that sometime you might be getting that message is because of the DSN I think that its called.

If you can get the network in a way where windows will manually configure that net work, you prob wont have that problem again. That is what I had to do.

With the net not working, make sure that the dail up connection or dsl connetion is shared.

ststeveo

ststeveo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I changed the LP and nothing happened. I note that the conn specific dns suffix is empty? Don't know if this is responsible. I've tried other settings or IP but know luck. wouldvflushing the dns or registering it help? As far as network wi I have tried but it keeps failing and tells me toretry with diff settings. I even tried it from the cd. Any other thoughts?

woody1977

woody1977

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Apparently this error "711" is caused by not having your plug and play enabled, try enabling that, it knocks out all the modems and drivers.

hope this helps

woody

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
is that an extention .711?

So its not spyware?

mronca

mronca

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello ststeveo,

I had the same problem (no connection to internet except in safe mode).
I resolved the issue by removing the virus Backdoor.IRC.Bot with Norton Anti Virus.
More info here: http://securityrespo....irc.bot.b.html.

Hope this help.

Marc.