Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows - No Disk There is no disk in the drive

• Please log in to reply

komobu

komobu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi;

I am using Windows XP w/sp2 installed. I also use firefox as my browser. Everytime I try to download a file, I get a message box that pops up and says "Windows - No Disk" and the text reads "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk" It has 3 pushbuttons, Cancel, Try Again and continue. The file that I am trying to download I am saving to my desktop. The file will continue to download even though this box keeps popping up. Sometimes I have to click continue 5 times during one 200k download. Any idea how I can fix this error? I tried googling it and found stuff but nothing seems to work. There is no path statement in my autoexec.nt file and I dont have a autoexec.bat file.

Thanks for any help
Pat

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
open firefox > tools > options > downloads > check the path file for save files to this folder

komobu

komobu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks...It is set to save files to desktop. I did a google search on the issue and it appears that a lot of folks have the same problem. I haven't seen any hits on how to fix it though.

Pat

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
what is your firefox version? try to update: tools > options > advanced > software updates > check now. It should be ver. 1.0.4

thunderstruck

thunderstruck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, I have been having the same problem and figured it out. Check to see if you are running any usb devices. I had to shut down all my usb devices by STOPing them and it work just find. I had been unable to use my spybot and other drivers without getting that annoying pop up "windows - no disk" error. Try and make sure all your usb devices are stoped. This should solve your problem!!

twmmah

twmmah

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok, I have been having the same problem and figured it out. Check to see if you are running any usb devices. I had to shut down all my usb devices by STOPing them and it work just find. I had been unable to use my spybot and other drivers without getting that annoying pop up "windows - no disk" error. Try and make sure all your usb devices are stoped. This should solve your problem!!

View Post

I got the same problem when I installed a new printer. It is a USB device. The message stoped when I unplugged it.

How I fix the problem and still use my printer

Edited by twmmah, 07 August 2005 - 09:27 AM.

brianbarnett

brianbarnett

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Im afraid I cant add anything positive to this topic. I get the Windows - no disk' error message when I try and run Ad-Aware. But I have no usb connections. I am however part of a network via a router. The other pc doesnt have this problem. Any ideas ?
Thanks in dvance.

Slygrrl22

Slygrrl22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had this problem recently and fixed it

my problem was that i installed a new hardrive to replace my old one, as a new main harddrive. after i installed spybot, i kept getting the same error "there is no disk in the drive", and then the same with adaware. i found that the problem was that it kept trying to open the C:\ drive but this drive letter was no longer for the main drive but rather for a removable zip drive. The letters had gotten rearranged. I think some of those programs assume that the main drive is the C:\ drive and therefore try to open it. How I fixed it was by going into Control panel>adminstrative tools>computer mgmt>disk mgmt. from there i right clicked on the drive currently labeled as "C" and replaced it with a different letter. I did NOT change the main drive to "C" as I correctly assumed that this would cause problems with every other program I had installed.

Ever since I changed the name on my removable zip drive from "C" to another letter (in my case, "I"), the problem has been solved. Spybot & Adaware now run smoothly, and havent given me an error since. Hopefully this will fix your problem as well.

Check it out......

ftkoay

ftkoay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
I have same problem here.
But I managed to solve it but not really sure.

1. Run "regedit"
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\htm
3. You should see a list of currently saved list.
4. Edit ( I did not delete but you can try) the one with "A:***" to other hard drive, say "C:***"
5. Close regdit
6. Done.

Until now, it did not come back........
:tazz:

FT