Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton Antivirus Install Error

• Please log in to reply

levasseurjohn

levasseurjohn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I think this is common but not to me. I installed Norton Antivirus 2004 and when I did the first update of the defination files I got a message that the update failed. It recommended that I reinstall. I tried and keep getting the error "Norton SystemWorks 2004 Professional installation has failed". The message comes up when loading "Publishing product information".

Does anyone have any insite. I used Symantics cleanup tool but that didn't work. I tried going into the registry and removing all entries related to Symantic, Norton or Antivirus.

Help........

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Did you scan for any existing viruses before trying to install?

levasseurjohn

levasseurjohn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I ran the antivirus which is required prior to installation. Of course it uses defination files which are on the 2004 CD.

I also ran the Symantic SYM CLN system clean utility which cleans up left behind registry entries. I also ran the utility from the Symantic site for removing Gaobot Virus.

In looking at this on the internet, there is a lot of references to this problem but noone has come up with a fix that really works. Don't know what to do now. Just keep looking I guess. Symantic was no help either.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
I have experienced this problem myself, but was always successful using the removal tool, deleting ALL the directories, rebooting, and reinstalling. I assume you've followed the instructions here: http://service1.syma...003090415405206