Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Caanot renew IP address

• Please log in to reply

visily

visily

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

I had a fully functioning PC. The other day I tried to start the internet and it would not connect. After the problem I tried

-action
Restart.
-result
no help
-action
ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew.
-result
Windows IP Configuration

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
-action
ipconfig /all
-result
Windows IP configuration

Host name :office
Primary Dns suffix : ( nothing)
Node type : unknown
IP Routing Enabled : No
WINS Proxy Enabled :No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection specific DNS Suffix :(nothing)
Description : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical address :c0-c1-c3-c5-c7-c9
Dhcp Enabled :Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled :Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.254.131.46
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default gateway : (nothing)

-action
repair connection.
-result
The following steps of the repair operation failed:
Renewing the IP address

Please contact your network administrator or ISP.
-action
Run winsockfix
reboot
-result
Still no connection.
IP address 169.254.131.46
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway ( nothing)
DNS server (nothing)
WINS server (nothing)

I have tried new MAC address, New network card(the netgear and on-bard LAN), I completely formated The Hard Drive and reinstalled Windows XP Home SP1,
I tried entering the information from the working laptop into the computer as a static setting. I could ping myself and get a response, but I could not ping yahoo.com or google.com.

I can though use the same CAT5/RJ45 cable connected to a cable modem with my laptop and there is no problem.

Any ideas from the pros?
I know I have good cable into the house.
I know I have a good modem.
I know the connection works to my laptop.
I did have the computer working at one time.
You time, help, and expertise is GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Have you checked to make sure the NIC card is good?

You may have a driver problem with that device. If you do have a problem, you can "Roll Back" the driver. If you revert to the old driver, or Windows isn't reporting any errors with that card, and you are still unable to connect, try uninstalling the device and rebooting the PC. It looks as is if you exhausted many means of correcting this issue already.

Also, are you going through a router of some sort? If you are, you might try bypassing the router just long enough to check the connection. If you are able to connect when the line is running straight into the PC, then you know you need to reconfigure the router.

Let us know if this helps and what you come up with.

Thanks

Edited by magusbuckley, 02 July 2005 - 07:39 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's entirely possible that your ISP doesn't have enough internet protocols to hand out so you have to wait in line.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Magusbuckley's suggestions were my first thoughts, too. Check that NIC card.

Johanna

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz:
I was in the middle of listening to streaming music when the problem first occured. Radio one, essential mix, BBC. I have listened to them many times before and never had a problem. I then lost connection and then tried the aforementioned steps to try and resolve the problem, btu could not reconnect.
I do not have a router.
I did buy a new, seperate NIC card(the netgear one), still to no avail.
The only solution I tried with the NIC card was uninstalling it and rebooting, still to no avail.
The loss of connection did happen with the onboard, ABIT NF-8V motherboard, LAN.
I have Timewarner as an ISP, with cable internet. I do not know how to check if they in fact do or do not have more space, but my laptop works on the same hardware that my PC does not. I have been trying the solutions on the PC, then unplugging the RJ45 and plugging it into my laptop, which has a connection. I do believe that the problem is in the PC, yet I have replaced the hardware(NIC card) and fully re-installed windows. Yet still cannot connect. I have tried using the static IP and that does not seem to work.

Again thank you for your thoughts. I can see on the status that packets are being sent but none received. Could packet filters have anything to do with it?

Your help is appreciated. ;)

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
P.S.

I love the babies hair do.

And Czarina.. You are more than welcome to do the work:) I am just lost.

Thank you

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you all,

I believe is was an ISP problem. After taking the computer to my office and hookig it up to the net there all was fine. Can these problems be fixed via the ISP in the future??? Again thank you for your help.

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay this has another dimension.
Since the last computer I worked on had the problem I took it to another location and the connection was fine, and still works.
Since then I have undertaken another build.
Same problem.
So I ran ipconfig /all on the laptop that works and this is what I recieved.

Windows IP Configuration
Host name ...... :Owner
Primary Dns Suffix .... : (nothing)
Node type ... : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled ...... : No
Wins Proxy Enabled .... : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
Media state ........ : Media Discnnected
Description ..... : National Semiconducter Cp DP83815/816 10/100 MacPhyter PCI Adapter #2
Physical address ...... :00-0B-CD-A4-52-F8

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix ... :(nothing)
Description ........... : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical address .....: FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled.... : No
IP address ....: fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default gateway.... :(nothing)
Netbios over Tcpip...... :Disabled

I can connect with th above info.
The computer that does not connect, gives normal info, sans a 169. IP address.

I have tried all normal ipcofing steps, and winsockfix, to no avail. I even tried my ISP's installation disk.
Any thoughts???
I am assuming that I in some way have to install teredo to get past the communication barrier that is happening here.
Is there any way around this?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
After looking at your post again I think the problem is that you need to be on the Wide Area Connection, not the LAN. I would go into Internet Connections and enable the WAN and log in on it for your connection. You should use the LAN if you are on a router, or other type of network, not the internet.

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
okay, WAN? Where How?
How do I go to a WAN, and WHy would it help???

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

okay, WAN? Where How?
How do I go to a WAN, and WHy would it help???

View Post

I'm not on a XP machine right now but you open Network Connections and add a connection, choosing Internet Connection, WAN. It would help because the Internet is the Wide Area Connection. It's what you use when you aren't on a router or using another computer to link to the Internet.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Tyger,
I am confused. I connect to the internet without a router on a LAN.

"All routers have a Wide Area Network (WAN) Port that connects to a DSL or cable modem for broadband Internet service and the integrated switch allows users to easily create a LAN. This allows all the PCs on the LAN to have access to the Internet and Windows file and printer sharing services."

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Visily, you say you tried a new NIC- I assume you have been to device manager to make sure it was enabled and had the right drivers, and that you have checked to be sure all connections are correctly routed. Have you also "forced the modem" at least once? That means shutting the computer down, unplugging the modem, and waiting for the splash screen at reboot to plug it back in. XP then "locates" the connection. You did disable the onboard LAN and enabled the new NIC card, too, right?

Johanna

visily

visily

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well than you Johanna,

I uninstalled all drivers for the net cards,
reinstall the onboard,
pulled the power on the modem,
shut down the computer,
turned the power back on,
installed the on board lan drivers,
lugged in the modem,
viola....
it works.
Thank you all again.

Sometimes it is the simple things that we over look.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
:tazz: Glad you fixed it, Visily! Thanks for posting back with what worked for you. ;)

Johanna

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Tyger,
I am confused.  I connect to the internet without a router on a LAN.

"All routers have a Wide Area Network (WAN) Port that connects to a DSL or cable modem for broadband Internet service and the integrated switch allows users to easily create a LAN. This allows all the PCs on the LAN to have access to the Internet and Windows file and printer sharing services." 

Johanna

View Post

That's interesting. I've always thought the WAN connection was the only one that worked for direct connection to the internet. Maybe it just works for some ISPs or Protocols. I'll have to try it here.