Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TrendMicroOnlineScan says: icwscrpt.exe corrupted

• Please log in to reply

eliuri

eliuri

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello:

I recently ran the new Trend Micro Online scan at : http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It found no viruses, but there were a few odd findings in an .HTML file I found in my Temp folder after this scan:

One of these readings is:

C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\WIN_16.CAB *icwscrpt.exe* File Fail to scan file (-82,The Compressed file is corrupted)

Other than this message, I don't recall any issue with that WIN_16.CAB file .

The icwscrpt.exe is found in Windows\System. The latest entry in my sfplog.txt [System File Protection] concerning this file reads:

NORMAL : [11/20/2003 00:51:06:760] SFP restored file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\icwscrpt.exe to version 4.70.0.1153

This is in fact the version number I see for that file in Windows\System. Might that SFP restoration have led to that message about that file within WIN_16.CAB as being "corrupted"?

Scanning of both that .cab file and the icwscrpt.exe by NAV shows no threats.

1) How can I determine if either that WIN_16.CAB or the icwscrpt.exe it lists as part of that is in fact "corrupt"?

Are there simple programs that could check for this?

2) Need I do anything about it? If so, what?

I no longer have the installation disk for windows ME.

Thanks in advance:

-eliuri

Windows ME

Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 with all critical updates

Norton AntiVirus 2004

Norton Personal Firewall 2003

Spybot S&D 1.4

AdAware SE 1.06

Edited by eliuri, 01 July 2005 - 07:17 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It's possible the scan may be looking for an older file, or a slightly different one. Sometimes you can find the .cab files on the web for older windows version, or maybe borrow a disk.

Edited by Tyger, 01 July 2005 - 07:42 PM.

eliuri

eliuri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks Tyger.

I'm wondering if there might be some way of scanning the Windows files--either using online scanning or software--- to ascertain whether there is in fact any corruption in that .cab file?