Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd rom won't open

• Please log in to reply

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
My cd drive won't always open for some reason. This came up along with a ton of other problems when i installed my new radeon 9250 video card a few days ago. Im also a bit worried that I may have broken a gear inside. Some times it will work, sometimes it won't. Any ideas on what the problem could be and how it can be fixed?

Advertisements

taff

taff

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Mabee a manufacturer fault, however there is a small hole that is normall located at the face/front of the drive just beside the volume controler...
Push a Pin or paperclip into that hole and it will release the CD... If it dosent then you will have to manually open the drive by taking it apart...
If you can please do not open it as you may lose any warranty if you open it manually so bring it to the manufacturer let them do it... So try the Pin in the hole first...
:tazz:

Edited by taff, 01 July 2005 - 07:57 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
uninstall the video card
does it work now?

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Cool! I never noticed that before, but yes i did try it, it opened so i took my game that was in there out and closed it and now it seems to open and close fine. Thanks Taff!

taff

taff

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz:

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Great. I tried to run DriverCleaner to fix some of the other problems I was having and it told me to unistall the drivers. I went to reinstall the drivers and now the rom won't open again. Back to playin with my safty pins!

The safty pin trick won't work anymore either

Edited by Darryl, 01 July 2005 - 09:00 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
give the draw a slight push in while using paperclip/safetypin

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I think the rom may not be gettin enough power. I've installed some new hardware recently and after i installed my video card I;ve been having a lot of problems. Some techs in another thread said it was prpbalby a psu problem. I found a website that told you how many watt psu you would need to run your components. When I entered my compoments it said i use aproxomitly 182 watts of power, but my psu says ac 115w/230w so im figuring it may be undepowered but im also not that smart with computers.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Step 1 go back to old video card does it all work ok ?

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
It did work back when i had the old video card, so im supposing it probly still would.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
seems odd that a video card would use so much power.
worth taking out to try
then if all is ok I would look at an IRQ conflict

Edited by peterm, 01 July 2005 - 10:14 PM.

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I installed a few other componets to so its probly not the video card using all the power.
The computer was probley made with a psu that supplies just enough power to run what it came with what it came with new. I'm not exactly sure tho, just another one of my crazy ideas :tazz:

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
thats why i would do it 1 step at a time