Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

"NTLDR is missing"?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have this PIII 450MHz Win98 PC given to me from a friend. On boot-up it reads the memory fine and detects all drives. On the next screen which displays "PCI device listing" etc, directly under "Verifying DMI pool data..." it says:

"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

I restart the computer but every time it boots to the same screen.

My question does "NTLDR" mean?

Thanks for your help,

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi camelgrass, Welcome to GTG !! :tazz:

NTLDR:(use with NT, 2000, or XP not 98)
Short for NT loader, NTLDR is a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Microsoft Windows NT load.

Has this machine booted before??
Did your friend try to upgrade to XP or 2000?

Have a look here !! See if this will help. If you need more assistance, post back and someone else or myself will help !!