Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Compressed Air, Help!

• Please log in to reply

QzXx

QzXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have noticed that a lot of dust has gathered in my 3d card and cooling is sufferering. I have a can of compressed air to clean it out with but i have noticed while testing on paper and what not that a small amount of moisture comes out of the can almost like a deoderant can. The moisture disappers after a few seconds but is it safe to use on my components to clean them?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I have used canned air many times and never had any problems.

QzXx

QzXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Did you get any moisture coming out?

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Yes, QzXx, I have on mine. Mine is made from office Depot, and moisture does come out. However, to minimize it, make sure that you hold the can upright and do not shake it before using it on the equipment. Also, spray from a far distance, so if liquid does come out, it will be minimal. Ans, do a few short test sprays before e using it on the computer equipment so that if there is any liquid going to come out, it will come out in the test sprays. And to answer your question on if it is bad on the parts, I cannot say that it is good for them. Although, I once did get a lot on the RAM of my old crap computer, and it dried up in seconds, and no harm done when I ran the computer. Hope the same is for you. But as for the steps above, I guess it's better to be safe than finding out you need a new mobo.

Peace,
Jared - Get Fx, and explore the Internet through tabbed browsing. (And If you want Gmail, just leave me a PM)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the moisture is condensation. notice how the can gets cold as you spray it, especially for extended blasts?

follow lionel's advice there, and you should be fine. I have only heard of the condensation causing a problem for 1 person ever, and they got the nozzle right up close to the video card and gave it a good long blast of air. that was bad, and did hurt the card.

make sure the comp is off and unplugged so you know there isnt any power flowing, and do what lionel said, and you will be good.