Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware infection? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Might not be a bad idea to uninstall Yahoo!\Companion
Then run a scan, Make sure everything is fine and then if you want you can reinstall it,

Do the above first, Make sure the system is clean then check on the mail, this way we can elimate it now

Advertisements

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I uninstalled the yahoo companion and rebooted. Then ran Panda Activescan and that .dll file still showed up. Apparently it was not removed with the uninstall. Should I just delete it? I won't reinstall Companion. It was there from the original compaq stuff that came with the computer. Haven't run the email yet. Norton came up in the non- autoprotect mode again.

Incident Status Location

Adware:Adware/Yahoo No disinfected C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\ycomp5_0_2_7.dll

Thanks.

John

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Yes go ahead and delete it,
Check on the mail and see whats happening with it now

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I deleted the yahoo companion dll. Checked the email and the junk was still piling in. It's coming from 12green.com and fleagroups.com. I installed filters in outlook so messages from those domains go directly into the deleted folder.

Should I update Norton anti-virus now?

Thanks.

John

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Yes update Nortons.

Also
  • Download FindIt's.zip to your desktop: http://forums.net-in...=post&id=142443
  • Unzip/extract the files inside to a folder on your desktop.
  • Open the folder and run FindIt's.bat and wait for notepad to open a text file. It will take awhile so please be patient ...
  • Then post the results here please, along with the new HijackThis log.

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I did not replace the norton yet but here's the files:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
The current date is: Sat 07/16/2005
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, THERE MIGHT BE LEGIT FILES LISTED AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE FIXING. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Todo Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» aurora Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Suspect's »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Dont delete file's in the section without guidance
If any doubt back them up first

* UPX! C:\WINDOWS\TSC.EXE

»»»»» lagitamate file's can/will show in this section.

* UPX! C:\WINDOWS\RMAGEN~1.DLL
* UPX! C:\WINDOWS\VSAPI32.DLL
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Buddy file's »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SAHAgent Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Misc checks »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»» Check for Windows\SYSTEM32\cache32_rtneg* folder.

Volume in drive C is PRESARIO
Volume Serial Number is 28CD-6F14

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

»»»»» Checking for SAHAgent ico files.

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

05/27/2004 09:01 AM 3,262 gblogo.ico
05/27/2004 09:01 AM 3,262 killevidence2.ico
04/24/2004 04:18 PM 3,262 killxppopups3.ico
05/27/2004 09:01 AM 3,310 kxp-28x28.ico
06/11/2004 10:02 PM 1,406 spaidicon16.ico
06/11/2004 10:02 PM 2,238 spaidicon32.ico
05/27/2004 09:01 AM 4,286 vhicon.ico
7 File(s) 21,026 bytes
0 Dir(s) 48,510,029,824 bytes free

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:57:25 PM, on 7/16/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ScanSoft\PAPERP~1\PPWebCap.exe
C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\Compaq\EAKDRV\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Compaq\EASYAC~1\BttnServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\compaq\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe
C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AUpdate.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
C:\Internet Downloads\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.usatoday.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://store.presari...&c=2c02&lc=0409
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://store.presari...&c=1c02&lc=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Compaq
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StorageGuard] "C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\evntsvc.exe -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\COMPAQ\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mirabilis ICQ] C:\Program Files\ICQ\NDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinVNC] "C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe" -servicehelper
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GhostStartTrayApp] C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Ghost\GhostStartTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OneTouch Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\VISION~1\ONETOU~2.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] %SystemRoot%\system32\mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Compaq_RBA] C:\Program Files\compaq\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe -z
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PPWebCap] C:\PROGRA~1\ScanSoft\PAPERP~1\PPWebCap.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [ICQ] C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe -trayboot
O4 - Startup: 12Ghosts Popup-Killer.lnk = ?
O4 - Startup: Check for OneTouch Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Visioneer OneTouch\WiseUpdt.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
O9 - Extra button: ICQ Pro - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ICQ - {6224f700-cba3-4071-b251-47cb894244cd} - C:\Program Files\ICQ\ICQ.exe
O9 - Extra button: MoneySide - {E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21} - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyviewer.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=2c02&lc=0409
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.syma...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1121538056718
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.syma...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec....sa/SymAData.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Compaq Advisor (Compaq_RBA) - NeoPlanet - C:\Program Files\compaq\Compaq Advisor\bin\compaq-rba.exe
O23 - Service: GhostStartService - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NORTON~2\GHOSTS~2.EXE
O23 - Service: Content Monitoring Tool (msCMTSrvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTSrvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Virtual NIC Service (PackethSvc) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\PackethSvc.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: VNC Server (winvnc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\RealVNC\WinVNC\WinVNC.exe" -service (file missing)

Thanks.

John

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi agaib John,
A few more things reared their heads,

*Please open notepad and save these instructions, Name it something you will remember
*Click Here to download Killbox by Option^Explicit.
*Extract the program to your desktop and double-click on its folder, then double-click on Killbox.exe to start the program.
*In the killbox program, select the Delete on Reboot option.
*Open the text file with these instructions in it, and copy the file names below to the clipboard by highlighting them and pressing Control-C:

C:\WINDOWS\RMAGEN~1.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gblogo.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\killevidence2.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\killxppopups3.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\kxp-28x28.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spaidicon16.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spaidicon32.ico
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vhicon.ico

*Return to Killbox, go to the File menu, and choose "Paste from Clipboard".
*Click the red-and-white "Delete File" button. Click "Yes" at the Delete on Reboot prompt. Click "No" at the Pending Operations prompt.

After restart open Findits again please and post back a fresh log from it please

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,

Here's the findits log:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
The current date is: Sun 07/17/2005
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL FILES FOUND BY THIS METHOD ARE NOT BAD FILES, THERE MIGHT BE LEGIT FILES LISTED AND PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHILE FIXING. IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT IT IS LEAVE THEM ALONE.
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Todo Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» aurora Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Suspect's »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»
Dont delete file's in the section without guidance
If any doubt back them up first

* UPX! C:\WINDOWS\TSC.EXE

»»»»» lagitamate file's can/will show in this section.

* UPX! C:\WINDOWS\VSAPI32.DLL
»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Buddy file's »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» SAHAgent Files found »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Misc checks »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

»»»»» Check for Windows\SYSTEM32\cache32_rtneg* folder.

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

»»»»» Checking for SAHAgent ico files.

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi John, Lookks to have done the trick, How you making out with Nortons ?

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OK, finally got back to the Norton issue. I installed nav2005 and it worked ok but the old systemworks did not. So I had to get a new systemworks, now everything is working. I think we are probably done now.

I think I will install spywareblaster and uninstall Webroot Spy Sweeper and then install firefox.

Is there anything else I should be doing here? Thanks for all of the help. I'll be starting another project on my neighbors machine although I may just reformat the drive and start over on his. There is nothing on there that he wants to save. Sometimes it's a lot easier to just reinstall the OS.

John

Advertisements

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Great news John

I think I will install spywareblaster and uninstall Webroot Spy Sweeper and then install firefox.

Is there anything else I should be doing here?

Well you have all the instructions I gave you on your computer correct, Make sure Ad-aware, spybot updated and run weekly, same with Anti Virus and windows updates,

Yes you can uninstall spy sweeper and use spyware blaster,

I'll be starting another project on my neighbors machine although I may just reformat the drive and start over on his. There is nothing on there that he wants to save. Sometimes it's a lot easier to just reinstall the OS.

Just be careful if it is infested with Viral and malware sometimes just a reformat is not going to do the trick, Want to make sure you get it cleaned up

Your very welcome!

k8yse

k8yse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for the additional info. I did the Windows Updates and installed SP2. It has a lot of stuff that is annoying, but it's probably for the best. I think the email is under control now by using the junk mail filters.

Thanks again for all of the help. I'm not sure when I'll be working on the other machine, but hopefully I can work with you on that one too.

John

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.