Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help - blank monitor/Dead CPU ?

• Please log in to reply

TEKEE

TEKEE

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I am a new user and hope that one of you experts out there can put away my misery !
Had built a AMD system with Athlon CPU 2400+ and Epox 8RGA+ MoBo, 1 gb of 2x512mb DDR PC2700, over 2 yrs ago --was working fine (except once I have to return the MoBo due to possible onboard VGA failure) until a few days ago. While the computer was left on and I went away for a while, someone heard a funny noise (she can't describe it) that could have come from the computer and the monitor since then went blank. Rebooting failed -- there is no beep sound.

Been trying all the usual test, including putting in an old S3 Virge video card on the PCI slot -- at first try the monitor came to live and a line of text detecting the card appears. Rebooted again and it was gone, the screen never show any image again. The case fan and the CPU fans are working, HD sounds like it is working, LED working, but no display on the monitor.

Thought it looks likely to be a faulty MoBo, I purchased a new one today (Asus A7S-MX) to replace it. It has an onboard VGA as well, although this new one is a Micro ATX. After doing all the connections, the same problem exist--cannot bootup/diaply any images on the monitor. Tried with the same S3 video card on the PCI slot, nothing. No beep. Remove all the RAm and all other connections, then there is long beeps sound (MoBo has detected there is no RAM ?)

SO can some one tell me whether it is the CPU that is gone for good before I go and get one (and may be attempting to get a replacement since there is a three yr warranty) ? Thanks.

TEKEE

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Did you try the monitor on another system??

Murray

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just off the top it sounds like your power supply may be overloaded or operating marginaly. Disconnect anything not needed for basic boot up, your floppies, cd-roms, etc., and try again. Something may be pulling down the power supply, or it is failing. Worth a try!

TEKEE

TEKEE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for yr fast response, Murray and Tyger. Much appreciated.

Yes I have tried the monitor on another system, it works okay. So we can discount the monitor to be the cause of the problem.

I also suspect it could be the power supply. But can only lay hand on a older system's PS to test (rated the same in both computer -- 300w that come with the case). I have dismantled it from this working system and plugged into the problem computer -- no different, still give me the blank screen and no beep. (Although I must clarify that in this old but working system, starting up Win98 is quite often a bit of problem as it tends to hang on the Window screen on booting up, needs resetting to get it going -- could that be also the PS problem ? Perhaps more of a software problem... ? Need some cleaning up I guess).

Anyway, I did dismantled all attachment to the MB and tested -- no different. Only different is when I took out all the RAM as well, and then it gives repetitive long beeps....

My own guess is either the PS needs changing or CPU (2.5 yrs old) is dead.... but need more expert advice/confirmation as to which one before I go and buy the relevant part. Anymore suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Tekee

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Just a though...Have you tried booting into safe mode. Perhaps there may be some bad drivers or something like spyware changed the registry around, but very badly. I think safe mode only controls the VGA mouse and keyboard upon bootup with obviuosly the operating system. ON XP, I am pretty sure that it is the F8 key upon bootup.

Peace,
Jared

TEKEE

TEKEE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Jared : I can't even boot up --nothing on the screen (the monitor cannot be powered up/turned on by the system) -- so can't really do much with any of the booting test or safe mode as you suggest. Thanks anyway, for taking the trouble to comment.

I read about the "Power-Good" signal that the PSU is supposed to receive from the MoBo if everything is working okay, so that it can relay the rest of the power to switch it on fully. If the power is "no good" there is a mechanism whereby the power is cut off (to protect the MoBo). However, even if that is the problem in my case (i.e. a faulty PSU), I should still get some images on the monitor screen right, before it freezes or shuts off ? Anybody has similar experience ?

TEKEE

miller4life

miller4life

• Pip
  • 7 posts
try a different video card might be a bad video card

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Miller4life:

If you read their first post, you would have seen they tried a different vid card !!

Tekee:

Open up the system and check your CPU cooling fan and heatsink.. is it running when you power up??

What about the PSU fan??

Can you see anything grossly discolored areas on the mobo??

Murray

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Ah, I guess I was writing faster than my mind could think. Sorry about your problem. But this other forum site I found may be of some help...hopefully. They had a similar problem, only a different mobo, which is the difference. However, the symptoms are the same, and one poster had the same problem with a different mobo and used the same solution method and worked for that person too. So let's hope that you can be like that person. The problem with that caused the blank screen was a RAM conflict. They tried moving the RAM to the other DIMM slots or getting a different kind. Since perhaps I am not explaining it well, you can read the threads here:

http://www.hardwaref...opict30817.html

Hope this helps,
Jared

TEKEE

TEKEE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Eeeeerrrrgggghhhh ! I am tearing my hair out !
Just bought a new case with 350 watts power supply unit, put in the new motherboard and RAM -- nothing happens, as before ! So can that means a faulty CPU (a AMD XP) -- but the guy at the computer shop told me that if that is the case, the MB should boot up and detect that there is no (or faulty) CPU ? Is that the case, people ?

Jared: Thanks for the tips and link, yes that guy has a very similar problem....but I have 2XDDR 512 mb RAM, and I have tried using one of them at a time, swapping slots, but no result. Can't be both sticks are bad, can they ?

Murray: Both the fans are working perfectly when the new (and old) motherboard is in either of my new or old cases ! There is no discoloring on the old MB. Assuming the old MB has died, the new one should work, but no ! Real frustrating !

TEKEE

TEKEE

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
P/S Both of my old and new MBs have integrated VGA so there should not be a problem with VGA card not seated properly, etc. ...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Eeeeerrrrgggghhhh ! I am tearing my hair out !
but the guy at the computer shop told me that if that is the case, the MB should boot up and detect that there is no (or faulty) CPU ?

View Post

Try pulling the CPU right out and boot your system.. That will show you what you would get with a dead CPU..

Murray