Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting from scratch

• Please log in to reply

Leon Thomas

Leon Thomas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm looking for a free product that can wipe my old computer clean. Whenever I've had computer trouble and had to take it to a shop, the repairman would mention a program or procedure to restore the PC to what it was when it was first taken out of the box. To restore it to its original state. That's what I want. There must be something that can do that. I don't want to have it done by a repairman.

I've transferred a couple semi-important documents from my old computer into my new one, and after much searching, I know there is nothing else worth saving on the old one. I want to start to fresh. By the way, the computer is a Compaq Presario with a Windows ME operating system.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
yeah I'm pretty shure i can help, there is a program called the 'registry fix' which'll do the trick :tazz: one more thing, you have to have it registered to get it to fix EVERYTHING, that'll cost you 40$ at most, considering you won't have to take it to the shop again!

pretty good for a kid don't you think?

I hope it helps ;)

oooo i forgot, you should be able to find the unregistered version of that on this site!! just look around, I found it by being clumsy! haha i hope it helps! ;)

Edited by Night_Shift, 02 July 2005 - 02:11 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just use the Compaq Revivery cd's that should have come with the system..

They will wipe the system and put it back to the same condition it was in when it was first purchased..

Otherwise, a simple fdisk to remove all partitions, and then another fdisk to set a Primary DOS partition and the a format will also do it..

and these are all free.. Can't beat the price!!

Night Shift: They want to wipe the system not just clean the registry.. Registry Fix won't work for what they want!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 02 July 2005 - 02:53 PM.

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well, I tried,and i guess failed in the attempt,figures anyway, I'm just a kid, what do i know? :tazz:

I'm With Murray S. ;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Night Shift..

You gave a good program for Registry fixes .. It just wasn't going to do what they wanted.. Nothing wrong with trying and perhaps you learned something new..

I know I did as I found a registry program I am going to take a look at!! :tazz:

Murray

Night_Shift

Night_Shift

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Well. at LEAST i did help someone, and thanks, I am starting to learn alot nowadays while being on these kinds of forums, It's thanks to all those computer ppl, and of course YOU :tazz:

best regards,

Kev

Leon Thomas

Leon Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just use the Compaq Revivery cd's that should have come with the system..

They will wipe the system and put it back to the same condition it was in when it was first purchased..

Otherwise, a simple fdisk to remove all partitions, and then another fdisk to set a Primary DOS partition and the a format will also do it..

and these are all free..  Can't beat the price!!

Night Shift:  They want to wipe the system not just clean the registry..  Registry Fix won't work for what they want!!

Murray

View Post

I don't have the Compaq Revivery CD's. I bought the machine...oh...six years ago. As for the "fdisk" solution, could you tell me exactly how I'd go about that? Just assume I don't know enough about computers to know what you mean. :tazz:

Edited by Leon Thomas, 02 July 2005 - 04:17 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just follow this tutorial.. CLICK HERE

Murray

Leon Thomas

Leon Thomas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Just follow this tutorial..  CLICK HERE

Murray

View Post

Maybe I'm just dense (which is entirely possible) but I don't see what a Windows 98 Installation tutorial has to do with my problem. For one, the computer is on Windows ME. For another, I don't have the disks the tutorial mentions.

:tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Six of one, half dozen of the other.. Just substitute WinME wherever it says Win98..

What disks are you missing??

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 02 July 2005 - 05:21 PM.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You should be able to just insert your ME installation disk and boot from that, evan better do that with a windows Xp installation disk. and not that this is to the point but bye Norton Goast and use that to make a complet buck up of you disks and then you could do exactly what you want to do now in the furture (the back up the norton goast makes contains all your documents, programs, setings and operating system, very good it you have major system failuer)

angryamerican

angryamerican

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
there is a program out there that is called drivescrubber...it will completly erase your hard drive..and if you have an OS to install your computer will be fresh

Hutchy

Hutchy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'd agree with the previous poster..get yourself a copy of Norton Ghost, since I've started using it, it's saved my butt several times!! I found the best way to use it was after a reformat and installation of the Operating System, get all your relevant drivers and any commonly used programs installed then just get Ghost to take a 'snapshot' of your system which you can then back up to your network or CD/DVD etc. I also include MS Office in my first backup, as apart from the OS it always seems to take an age to get reinstalled!! You can then as an ongoing process regularly backup your personal files etc using Ghost's built in scheduler. The beauty of the program is that the snapshot it takes of your system will mean that when and if you have to restore it, it will bring it back to exactly how your system was before, I find after most reinstalls of an OS pre Ghost that it used to take about 1.5 hours to get the OS on then another 45 waiting for MS Office plus getting all the little settings like desktop wallpaper, network settings etc back could take anywhere between 2 hours to 5 hours, with Ghost I'm back and running in 38 minutes!! And no, I don't work for the company that makes Ghost!!!!!

HTH