Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What version of Windows did you use first

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i had windows 3.1 first but mostly still used DOS and the great DOS Shell(anyone know where i can get that it only came with 3.1 they took it out in 95), then i went to 95 skipped 98 but i used it in school, went to 2000 for a while and ended up with XP home on the family PRO on mine.

Advertisements

Antartic-Boy

Antartic-Boy

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,120 posts
Well, here is my list:

1.Windows 95;
2.Windows 98;
3.Windows Me;
4.Windows 2000;
5.Windows XP.

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I'm a young gun i started with windows 98

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Macintosh. :tazz:

DOS had some GUI's before Windows, and 3.0 was not the first version of Windows. In fact, I still have a copy of Windows 1.0 new in the box (and original shrinkwrap).

3.0 was the first version I used regularly, and I remember being mostly disappointed.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I don't remember what kind of computer it was...but a "mouse" hadn't been invented yet, and the "programming" was done by punching holes in cards following a flow chart of yes/no questions. Sigh.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I was in England then, something like Sinclare, same guy who brought out a little plasic vehical which worked on electricity powered by an engine of a washing machine, anyway perhaps someone here can remember both the name of his computer and the name of his vehical, about 25 years ago now.

DynamiteN

DynamiteN

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Windows 90 i thing

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts

I was in England then, something like Sinclare, same guy who brought out a little plasic vehical which worked on electricity powered by an engine of a washing machine, anyway perhaps someone here can remember both the name of his computer and the name of his vehical, about 25 years ago now.

View Post

Sinclair Zx was the computer and the motorised bathtub was a C5 i think, a complete deathtrap!

jkpj13

jkpj13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Put that away for a few years and picked up at Win 95 then through progression 98, ME, win 2k and now on xp home on three machines

How did you install XP on 3 machines? Did you buy 3 copies?

Edited by jkpj13, 03 October 2005 - 08:46 AM.

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
I started with XP and aam still on it

Advertisements

jkpj13

jkpj13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Windows XP is alot better than 95.

Edited by jkpj13, 03 October 2005 - 09:00 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The first version of windows I ever used was 3.1/DOS 6.22

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I used, like others here, MS-DOS way before Windows was a blip on the screen. I think my first system (around 1985) was running MS-DOS 3.0 on a IBM-XT with a green monochrome monitor, no hard drive, two 5 1/4" floppy drives and a whopping 64k (not MB, but KB) of memory.

I used Windows 3.11 for quite some time before I decided to move up to Windows 95 and it really took me a while to switch to 95 because to honest, I was VERY comfortable with DOS and Win95 seemed too odd to use.

I eventually got past all that once the GUI OS pretty much bcame the standard.

Edited by thenotch, 03 October 2005 - 02:02 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its really interesting how people are starting to move back to the less GUI dependant OSs like LINUX although i must say i was planning on switching over to LINUX for a while but im not so keen about it after seeing some a friend being driven to near insanity trying to figure it out for his informatics course at uni.

Im suprised people arent goinf straight back to DOS because it is still very simple and easy to use after all these years, you use it you know its going to work none of this farting around with yank and kill commands and installing software completely manually(I for one never want to go back to having to do that again).

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
First was windows 95, then 98, then windows ME, and now XP Home.

I had seen windows 3.1, but that was when I was very young (some thing like 5 years old) don't remember it.