Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Display Black or freezes after splash

• Please log in to reply

rhubarb

rhubarb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi
Weird one here:
Was having various windows probs (programs crashing etc...) Tried sfc, no good. So did a repair install which solved most problems. During this install, it asked for drivers for via - the motherboard chipset - couldn't find them, so skipped the stage - thought I could download them later. So far, so good - as I said, most things worked fine. Just the graphics were slow and jerky - no acceleration I suppose. (bear with me - nearly getting to the point).

So I tried downloading new drivers from the ATI site. Difficult to tell which ones were the correct ones, so tried about 6 or so - all of them came up with the message to the effect of the drivers do not support the card installed, even though the description was (about) right. So I played about with the settings in the properties dialogue on the desktop - bad move...
I thought "if I disable the current driver, it will ask me to reinstall on the next boot" So chose STOP in the driver section of the adaptor tab. The driver was not an ATI one - VGA or something, I think.

On restart, I get the POST, can go to the BIOS, goes through the windows splash screen, then black. Sounds like Windows is loading OK though - just no display. OK - do a rollback - exactly the same. Hmm...
Time for another re-install then.
This is where it gets really weird - setup runs, copies files then restarts. Does a disc check - OK (repairs a couple of things, probably due to having to reset it). Then says something like "continuing to install windows" at the bottom of the scandisk screen and then just sits there looking at me while windows appears to continue the install, but does not finish. That is, the scandisk screen is visible and static. The monitor is a flat panel if that makes any difference. Power cycling the monitor makes no difference.

I have tried:
resetting the BIOS
2 other different graphics cards - one AGP, one PCI.
Exactly the same symptoms.

It works fine if booted from knoppix
I have now stuck an old drive in there, and installed a fresh copy of XP on it - works fine, and the plan now is to buy a new drive.

So it seems like I have turned graphics off, and would love to know if this problem is recoverable (simple registry setting, perhaps?) - anybody?? :tazz:

{edit} - BTW, had the same problem in safe mode.

Edited by rhubarb, 02 July 2005 - 01:47 PM.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
As you have a working version of XP why don't you fit the original drive as slave and copy over any files you want to keep. You can then reformat the drive and use it for back-up or extra storage space.

rhubarb

rhubarb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Exactly what will be done when I get the new HDD - just wondered if anybody had any idea if recovery was possible...

(the one I installed the working copy of windows on is 5GB :tazz: )