Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with XP Home

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
<_< I have a problem with my home computer running XP Home Edition. It sporadically wants to reboot at startup - sometimes just when it's reaching the login window for the 3 accounts that are set up, other times after the password has been entered and it's in the middle of loading the personal info for that account. Sometimes one account will reboot but you can get in through another account.

When I first had the problem, there would be a winlogon.exe error message after you finally got in. Then it got so bad it would keep rebooting as it was reaching the login window and we wouldn't even have an opportunity to log in. We tried reloading XP but it still didn't work. After several months thinking that I needed a new computer, we looked into it again, found a frayed connector ribbon, replaced it, hooked it all up again and it was okay. Now it's started this reboot thing again, only now I'm not getting the error messages.

Do you think this is a software problem or a hardware problem? I run Norton Antivirus 2003 and it's been up to date and the computer doesn't have any viruses. I also had run Spybot Search & Destroy before it started happening the first time.

I tried looking at the knowledge bases and doing a search for winlogon.exe errors but nothing describes exactly what's happening to my computer.

Sorry to take so long on this, and I hope I was able to explain the problem okay.

If you're going to want a hijack this log, I can do it this weekend. Just let me know.

Thank you for anything you can suggest!!!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
A Hiajck Log would be the best place to start. <_<

Marz1983

Marz1983

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Number of things can cause hardware reboots.

I've found faulty RAM that rebooted my system for no reason, but it wasn't until 10-20 mins into the windows session. Bad or over loaded Power SUpply can cause reboots too. If you have the ability, switch out ram with another PC & see if it reboots still or not.

I'm sure any other peice of hardware could cause a reboot, but have never had any other hardware that causes it, yet.

Anne

Anne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Number of things can cause hardware reboots.

I've found faulty RAM that rebooted my system for no reason, but it wasn't until 10-20 mins into the windows session. Bad or over loaded Power SUpply can cause reboots too. If you have the ability, switch out ram with another PC & see if it reboots still or not.

I'm sure any other peice of hardware could cause a reboot, but have never had any other hardware that causes it, yet.

View Post

Thanks to both of you for replying. I will try swapping RAM this weekend and see if that works. I'll also send a Hijack This log so you can see if there might be a software problem. Since I really only get on my home computer on weekends, I'll do both so there's less of a delay in trying to analyze the situation.

Again, I really appreciate your help! <_<