Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POLL: Is Norton best?

• Please log in to reply

georgeblitz

georgeblitz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My time is up with Norton... I am willing to spend up to $100 to secure my pc...and the ghost functions and others that Norton System Works has...what does one really need....and what do you think is necessary and best in today's world???? Many replies please!! Thanks much! :tazz:

Edited by georgeblitz, 02 July 2005 - 09:23 PM.

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
First things first, if you decide to uninstall Norton you need to goto the symantec website and use the tools provided for removal. Otherwise not all of the program will be removed and later down the road this WILL be an issue on your machine.

Secondly, why dish out all that money? With the system resourses Norton was consuming you could download and install
Spybot S&D
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
HiJack This
AVG Free Edition Anti-Virus (Great AV by the way)
ZoneAlarm
Clean Up
Ad Aware SE
Mozillas FireFox browser

Be more secure than using Norton, Use less resources than Norton and best of all those programs are absolutely free or have free editions with no time limit on use. I use all of the programs listed above and the FireFox browser and have never had a problem since using them. Why pay when you can get it for free?

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I agree with phybyr0ptyk. Much as I love and adore the Norton AntiVirus 2005 software currently installed on my Aspire T630, nothing can justify its hundred dollar price tag. Yes, it is quick, easy to use and an absolute dream to run and set up, but being as cheap as I am, once my free subscription to Norton expires in November, I'll probably go back to a freeware anti-virus program like Avast, which while lacking in Norton's efficiency and snazzy interface, is nevertheless comparable to NAV. That, plus the fact that you just can't beat its price tag. :tazz:

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
I used Norton AntiVirus as well...it doesn't pick up anything. I use Panda AntiVirus Titanium. MUCH BETTER :tazz: .

Beauty_Can_Kill

Beauty_Can_Kill

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I use norton antivirus 2005, and I absolutely will not renew my subscription. My significant other went on an email opening spree when i went on vaca, and trashed his comp. He downloaded the cdosours.exe coda_lush backdoor virus which shuts down all of the antivirus programs (norton, microsoft antispyware, firewall, spybot EVERYTHING) would not let me download anything that appeared to be antivirus or antispyware material, and if I succeeded in downloading the file I could not open it.
I updated norton's virus database and tried scanning a million times in safe mode, and it never picked up the file. It's nowhere on their site. Only by following "thatman"'s advice (a mod here) and finally being able to scan my comp online with kaspersky was I able to kill the file. The funny thing is, I searched the web for it and I could not find it. I always saw it on taskmanager and never knew what cdosours.exe was, yet I somehow knew it was it.

Norton sucks. What a waste of money. I am looking into a new antivirus app. Maybe kaskerpsky, considering it was my saving grace.

<3 jen

TogTogTogTog

TogTogTogTog

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Also;
Microsoft Antispyware (still in beta but such a good program)

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You are just lucky that you have not had any probems with Norton, I have and have read about a lot more that you can get. In my case it was giving me a error message every time that I started you, later it would tell me that it did not like that way that my net work was configered. Then it turned of auto protect and would not let me look a my quarinten. Also a while ago it would not let me update my internet worm protection. I have solved the problem not by uninstalling it but is is still very anoying to have to do this evey time it decides to muck up on me.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

You are just lucky that you have not had any probems with Norton

Personally, I don't think it is an issue with the Norton software itself, but rather the way the program 'molds' to a computer system. I've heard plenty of lousy reviews of the product, but I've also heard plenty of people who've been using Norton AntiVirus 2005 without a single glitch so far, and have actually had improvements in their system performances ever since installing the software. My friend has been using Norton AntiVirus since its 2003 version and has not has a single issue with updates whatsoever. :tazz:

ronscores

ronscores

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
umm AVG works fine fur me.. Try kaspersky if u'd want a change
But installing (or even trying to!) install NAV 2005 in my
crappy AMD Sempron 2200+ ~1500 Mhz machine (win XP) takes a [bleep] alotuva system resources .. that it takes abt. 5 mins to boot!
Now thats CRAP!

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I used to like Norton, but I have found that there was malware on my computer that other AV tools found that Norton had been overlooking. Also I accidently moved Norton AV from my older computer to my newer one, and it broke my paid Norton on my new computer. Thats OK, as I wasn't supossed to do that transfer.

But now that Norton is broken on my new computer, its a bugger to get rid of. I've tried many times to remove it, and it will not go quietly into the night. It used to nag me every two hours to tell me it was broken. Finally I got rid of that part using HJT. But there is still some Noton flotsam hagning around wherever I do an HJT. I'm not sure I want to risk fixing it since it doesnt seem to be causing me any problems.

In short, I wouldnt waste my money on Norton again. Using AVG and really like it.

Best regards,

EMCGuy

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Seams every Antivirus Program is hard to remove in some cases with the exception of AVG, I have not heard any thing bad about that yet. There are ways to get rid of them in the hard cases but they are always long and complacted.

Beauty_Can_Kill

Beauty_Can_Kill

• Pip
  • 9 posts

I used to like Norton, but I have found that there was malware on my computer that other AV tools found that Norton had been overlooking.  Also I accidently moved Norton AV from my older computer to my newer one, and it broke my paid Norton on my new computer.  Thats OK, as I wasn't supossed to do that transfer.

But now that Norton is broken on my new computer, its a bugger to get rid of.  I've tried many times to remove it, and it will not go quietly into the night.  It used to nag me every two hours to tell me it was broken.  Finally I got rid of that part using HJT.  But there is still some Noton flotsam hagning around wherever I do an HJT.  I'm not sure I want to risk fixing it since it doesnt seem to be causing me any problems.  

In short, I wouldnt waste my money on Norton again.  Using AVG and really like it.

Best regards,

EMCGuy

View Post

Hey, I just wanted you to know that you cannot uninstall norton unless you do it with symantec's software SynNRT.exe. Go to symantec.com/uninstall, and click the first link for uninstalling norton. Click "removing your norton program using symnrt" and then scroll down until you can download the SymNRT.exe, which will remove all norton components.

:tazz:

Jen

Edited by Beauty_Can_Kill, 17 July 2005 - 12:29 PM.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Jen

Thanks for the tip. I tried all over the Symantec website looking for
SynNRT.exe ;) Almost gave up when I found SymNRT.exe. ;) I'll give it a shot. Thanks again :tazz:

EMCGuy.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

First things first, if you decide to uninstall Norton you need to goto the symantec website and use the tools provided for removal. Otherwise not all of the program will be removed and later down the road this WILL be an issue on your machine.

Secondly, why dish out all that money? With the system resourses Norton was consuming you could download and install
Spybot S&D
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
HiJack This
AVG Free Edition Anti-Virus (Great AV by the way)
ZoneAlarm (Firewall....CRITICAL to have)
Clean Up
Ad Aware SE
Mozillas FireFox browser

Be more secure than using Norton, Use less resources than Norton and best of all those programs are absolutely free or have free editions with no time limit on use. I use all of the programs listed above and the FireFox browser and have never had a problem since using them. Why pay when you can get it for free?

View Post

EXCELLENT post, phybyr0ptyk. I agree 100% with everything you suggested. Norton can not only cause your system to be unstable at times, it can also be a SERIOUS resource hog.

I personally use all of the above, as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
phybyr0ptyk hit the nail right on the head..install what he said and you will be fine...use the $100 for something else...

Edited by happyrck, 02 January 2008 - 06:40 PM.