Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

POLL: Is Norton best?

• Please log in to reply

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Please don't make me remember the numerous Norton crashes I have had to deal with. (remember, Norton has its fingers into every program you have, so if it goes down, everything does down with it)

My opinion: Norton Security and Antivirus is a horrible, horrible program. I don't like to "bad mouth" Symantec but the truth is the truth.

Also consider the increase in "speed" you will gain without having Norton Symantec on your computer. Norton really slows things down.

Windows Firewall and AVG. My choice.

Advertisements

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you don't need a software firewall if you go buy a <$30 router. why waste system resources? on the few windows machines i run, i use AVG and spybot. thats it. i reformat them frequently. and i have NEVER encountered any malware problems.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If you want the best get NOD32. A two year license is less than $60. As for a firewall if you have cable/dsl your modem is already a a NAT router (most only need a switch to service more than one PC). If you want the outbound control of a third party PFW Comodo 3.0 PRO gets some good reviews at some of the other forums I lurk at and it's free. You should check some of Comodo's other tools out. BHO Clean was shareware for years but since Comodo bought it it's freeware.

And if you would like to quit hurting your brain thinking about what security is best get something other than Windows :) Linux works for me.

l plater

l plater

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
hi,
I ran the norton/symantec removal tool, but still leaves bits in the registry
I went into the registry to delete, but it wont let me.
in local machine, it still has 3 drivers and also
in local machine , in monitoring it still has symantec antivirus and fiewall
and I still have issues with "unable to connect to the internet"
on both firefox and IE

any idea on how to delete them?

thanks

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
BitDefender all the way: www.bitdefender.com

used Norton - was rubbish and slow and didn't find the Malware that was eating up my PC.

used BitDefender - was great and fast and found that Malware Norton missed!

Go look here: http://anti-virus-so...tenreviews.com/

BitDefender was given gold - I think so too!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
As a free protector, AVG free is my #1. However, if I had to pick, NOD32 would be my first choice. Yes, you have to pay a little but it's well worth it. The best protection for sure. AVG is good, but it misses some things I wasn't quite comfortable with when I ran some AV tests. NOD32 takes up a very small amount of resources and is consistently ahead of the game.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
One of my friends was running Norton for a long time. His computer was being eaten up by some viruses, and all Norton would do was tell him that a virus was there and it wouldn't do anything.

He finally got me around to try fix it. I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, and it got rid of it straight off.

Personally I run: SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware 2007 and Avast! Antivirus. I would run AVG also, but it seems to conflict with Avast or something. Gives a message of "you shouldn't install two anti virus programs" or something. I ran AVG for about 3 years and was impressed with it, i've just been further impressed with Avast, so I run that.

Edited by Seltox, 28 January 2008 - 02:35 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The reason for that message is that you really should not have two anti-vorus protectors running at once. That goes for any protection software that has real-time scanning. If you have McAfee and Norton for example, they will conflict. You wouldn't want two of the same protector anyway.