Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with a specific site

• Please log in to reply

SnowWhite22

SnowWhite22

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all!

There is one particular website I use on a regular basis that I have been having issues with the last few weeks. The website is Myspace.com and recently everytime I attempt to use features on other people's pages, the website stops responding and forces a shut down of my browser. This is the only site this happens on. I tried to email the webmaster at Myspace but didn't get a response. I use this site on a daily basis so this is a pain! :tazz: I'm not sure if it is my settings or if it is something due to the fact I recently removed the ABI virus. Any ideas on what I can do??

Thanks!
Snow

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Do the following in the order they're arranged in -

1) Clear out your cookies, temporary Internet files, and browsing history. Try loading the page in a fresh browser window. You could attempt to disable and/or set all security settings on your Internet browser to the lowest level, although this step isn't recommended as it can open up your system to attacks from intruders.

2) Download and use an alternative browser. If you are currently using Internet Explorer, dump it. Try Mozilla Firefox or Opera instead.

3) Have you installed any new programs recently? Since the issue started up a few weeks ago, check your Add or Remove programs list for any software that you might have added during that period of time. Try disabling them, if possible. Things to look out for would be firewalls and other anti-malware programs that might be blocking you from connecting to the 'features' you talked about in your post.

4) Is there any sort of monitoring software installed your PC? These sort of programs are generally used by parents and the like to track down users' activities on the 'Net. If possible, try to adjust the program to allow you access to the website.

5) Are you the only one who's experiencing this problem? Talk to other members of the website and ask them for their opinions on what's going on. I don't use that webpage myself so I wouldn't know whether or not other users are having the same issue. If it does turn out to be a problem on myspace.com's side, then I'm afraid the only thing you can do is to wait it out, especially if the webmaster doesn't get back to you.

6) Go here for instructions on how to clean up your system of any malware infections that may be the cause of your problem.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

If you are currently using Internet Explorer, dump it. Try Mozilla Firefox or Opera instead.

That won't exactly help the issue, just his opinion..by the way..dont use opera.
Dumping IE won't solve anything, your choice though, I use IE and Firefox :tazz:

SnowWhite22

SnowWhite22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I had tried clearing out all the cookies and Temp files and that didn't solve the problem. I will attempt Firefox.

A few weeks ago I came to Geeks To Go to help me get rid of the ABI/Aurora virus and all the other malware I had on my computer. (They were great by the way. I am now virus free! :tazz:) I downloaded everything from CC Cleaner to Ewido to Killbox to Spybot. Any idea which of these would be most likely to cause the problem? I have my security settings on the highest but that didn't affect the webpage before I tried to get rid of the virus. I am going to try and email the help forums again over there. Help! ;)

Snow

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

That won't exactly help the issue, just his opinion..by the way..dont use opera.
Dumping IE won't solve anything, your choice though, I use IE and Firefox

First, I'm a girl, so it would be 'her opinion' instead. Secondly, what I said might not help the issue, but using any browser other than IE will definitely lessen a user's chances of being attacked. I never use Internet Explorer any more, and I don't suggest that anyone use it at all, except maybe to check for Microsoft updates. And even so, if one has their Automatic Updates set to the recommended settings, the updates should be downloaded and installed just fine, IE or no IE. Opera is an excellent browser. My classmate has it set to his default browser on his laptop and when I last tried it out, it was the single fastest browser I've ever used. The only thing that's keeping me from using it is the ad space it now has on its interface. All I can say is - both Firefox and Opera win IE hands-down in terms of both speed, efficiency and security. ;) Also, who knows? I've had people running into problems accessing certain websites using IE, but once they'd switched to an alternative browser everything worked just fine once again. If you really like IE so much though, ssone, sure you can go ahead and continue using it...

I've never used any of the programs you have listed before, SnowWhite22, but if I'm not mistaken, the programs CCleaner and Killbox should not be interfering with your access to the website, so leave them alone. You could try disabling the Tea-Timer option on Spybot temporarily, I suppose. As for Ewido, I have absolutely no idea how that program works, frankly, so I'm afraid I can't help you with that.

Sorry if I can't offer any more suggestions. :tazz:

Edited by cassykins, 03 July 2005 - 07:24 PM.

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I never use Internet Explorer any more, and I don't suggest that anyone use it at all,

just his (or her) opinion

i believe thats what i said.

If you really like IE so much though, ssone, sure you can go ahead and continue using it...

heyyyyyyyyyy...thanks for letting me use it :tazz: ;)

Hope all goes well SnowWhite22 ;)

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
ssone, I read through my last post to you and realized that it may have sound just a tad harsher than I'd intended. What I mean is, Opera is an excellent browser, and unless you can back up your advice to SnowWhite22 to 'don't use Opera', I don't think there is any reason why anybody shouldn't use that browser. Also, I suggested she switched to an alternative browser for a reason - not just simply because I am biased against IE. If you'd read my previous entry you'd have realized that I've already explained why I made that suggestion, so I don't intend on typing it out again.

I never meant to sound offensive, so if I somehow managed to come across as domineering or whatever in that post, I apologize. The reason why I'd typed out that whole chunk of paragraph about alternative Internet browsers is because your first post could have very well led others into thinking that it is okay for them to keep using Internet Explorer, even if they don't have suitable anti-malware programs installed to protect their computer. And that is immensely, tremendously untrue.

You know. It is just the way messages can come across, you know? I had no intentions of putting you down when I said that you could continue using Internet Explorer. I was just merely telling you that if you enjoy using IE so much, nobody will force you to switch. It is up to you. I guess that it is just how the lack of face-to-face conversation can make a post seem abrupt, or even rude. :tazz:

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

your first post could have very well led others into thinking that it is okay for them to keep using Internet Explorer, even if they don't have suitable anti-malware programs installed to protect their computer.

I doubt it sounded like that, but if it did, just letting you all know I have Norton System Works, Ad-aware, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1, Spyware Doctor, and Spybot Search and Destroy.

The opera thing was just from a website-viewing point of view. Opera for a long time has supported the least amount of things to view a website correctly, but this is a very small amount so it shouldnt show up much. Firefox is great...I would recommend that if you don't want IE, or, as I have it, as an alternate browser.

I was just merely telling you that if you enjoy using IE so much, nobody will force you to switch.

haha..i know, its all good, I was just implying that you don't really need to tell me that no one will force me...anyway..yeh you can't really tell with text how the persons "mood" is...I hope I'm not coming across mad or rude, I'm not meaning to sound that way :tazz:

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hey snowwhite22 I'm a member of myspace.com as well. Have you tried connecting to that site using a proxy server? Or just the IP address lease to you by your ISP? A lot of the features on that seldomly work due to the high amounts of traffic on their servers.

SnowWhite22

SnowWhite22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all.

Thanks for all the interest and tips. I haven't switched over my browser yet and I think the reason is because it is just ONE webpage that is giving me this issue. I would think if it is a browser issue, it would be happening to multiple webpages. But my knowledge in this area is limited, so if Firefox is the recommendation, I will try it.

IronGeek: I'm not sure HOW to connect to myspace using a proxy server. (I'm not even sure what that means! :tazz: ) Or whether or not it is my lease on the IP. Its my personal home computer so I am the only one using it. And I never have issues when using other computers (my roommates, my work, etc.) I tried again to email the Myspace help crew but no answer as of yet.

Again, thanks for all the interest and support.
Snow

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
A good solution is provided no more i think so

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
"I haven't switched over my browser yet and I think the reason is because it is just ONE webpage that is giving me this issue."

If you use similar sites like ones that have log-ins, security precautions/issues, like yahoo, or even geekstogo, and they work fine..then..thats a very good reason not to switch. :tazz:

Edited by ssone, 05 July 2005 - 03:23 PM.

SnowWhite22

SnowWhite22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

A good solution is provided no more i think so

View Post

Are you channeling Yoda? :tazz: Any advice for me?