Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2.0 Port Not Detected

• Please log in to reply

nitachil

nitachil

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have Windows XP and I have just bought new motherboard, processor and ram and got it assembled.

I have a USB 2.0 Mass storage device and when I connect to the USB port I get the following message, "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port, For a list of available ports click here."

When I click on the icon then a screen opens and says, "There is no Hi-Speed USB host control installed on this computer."

The list of ports that is displayed is all VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal host controls and when I expand it has USB Root Hub.

I am wondering if this is a hardware issue, how can I detect if I have USB 2.0 port in my computer if not then what do I do to get it.

Regards
Anita

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. What kind of motherboard (make and model)? Check the bios, make sure USB is enabled. Make sure you have installed the USB drivers for your motherboard. These should be on the installation CD that came with the board. If you don't have that, you can go to the motherboard manufacturers web page and download the driver.

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
To see if you have USB 2.0, you can go to the device manager and check yourself (right click my computer, the properties, then the tab "hardware" and then "device mnager"). Expand the part where it says "universal Serial Bus controllers." If one of the items under this list has an "enhanced" controller, then you habve USB2.0. If not, then you have USB 1.1. Upgrading from 1.1 to 2.0 is not difficult. To do this, you need to buy a PCI card that has USB 2.0 cards on it. Such a card for example is this:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815124008

As you can see, it is not very expensive. Hope this helps.

Peace,
Jared

nitachil

nitachil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you lots, Austine and Jared for your help and welcoming me so warmly :tazz:

Austine, my motherboard is Gigabyte - K8Triton K8T800 Pro series AGP 8X/Dual Channel DDR400 - Supports AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor.

I have installed all the drivers that came on the CD with the motherboard and now in the Manager Drivers section I can see 'VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller'. ;)

However, I am not sure if I am plugging in my external hardrive into the correct port. I have two USB ports in the front of my computer. Are they USB 2.0. Sorry for being so clueless but I have no idea about these hardware issues.

When I plugged into one of the ports. Nothing happened, I then went to Device Manager again and Scanned for new hardware changes. Which detected the new USB Mass Storage Device, but after sitting there for a while it says that, "A problem occured during your new hardware installation, it may not work properly."

Don't know why this is happening. The weird thing is that it worked yesterday morning and in the evening it doesn't work anymore, mind you I heard a really strang static noise as well which made me turn off the comp after which the computer is not detecting the USB Mass Storage Device anymore.

Ny ideas?? Have a great day.
Nita

lionelhutz5

lionelhutz5

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Okay. We are off to a good start. You have USB 2.0, and yes those two ports in the front are USB ports. Now, when it says that your device may not work properly, that is due to Windows being unable to find a driver, or a driver compatible with windows system - I had this problem when I installed TI Connect to hook up my 89 Titanium (Amazing calculator btw.). Under add new hardware, choose to find a driver based on the disc that should have come with your external hard drive. If that does not work, or you do not have the disc, then choose find a driver for the new device from Windows Update (make sure you are connected to the Internet.) Then, if that fails, go to the manufacturers website of whoever makes your external drive. They should have specific drivers for your Windows version and specific external drive model. If you even get to this point, there are more steps. If you need this, post back and I'll send the rest.

Peace,
Jared

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've been down this road myself. I have two XP machines and I bought boaard for them, only for five bucks, returned at the store because people didn't know how to install them and Microsoft didn't approve the solftware. Made them work too, only to discover that you can get drivers from Microsoft to upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0.

Go into device manager, expand the USB ports, choose Properties for the hub, then reinstall drivers. You should not have any trouble installing new 2.0 drivers for free.

Edited by Tyger, 04 July 2005 - 08:50 AM.

nitachil

nitachil

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am sooo frustrated aaaaahh!!! :tazz:

I have now installed the driver that came with the external casing of the harddrive. It still doesn't work.

When I double click the 'USB Mass Storage Device' in Device Manager which has a yellow ! on it, it has this error: "Device cannot start. Code (10)?

I have tried other ports and still doesn't work. I have installed service pack 2 and still doesn't work. I have re-installed the drives and still doesn't work.

The only thing I remember before the time the device worked and failing to work is the computer going weird with loud static noises when the hard drive was plugged in last. I turned off the comp in panic and since then it hasn't worked.

On the net I found the quote below, which I don't know if its true .......... please please guide me in a direction which will solve this.

"This is a power issue. Check to make sure you are using the correct power adapter supplied with your Drive. The other possibility is that the interface board on the Drive has malfunctioned and would need to be sent in for warranty service."

I have checked that the correct power adapter is plugged in.

Ciao
Nita