Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent HELP needed

• Please log in to reply

bengaluru

bengaluru

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out.

I had two OS on my system - Win 98 SE on C Drive and Windows 2000 on D Drive.

I was trying to upgrade my 98 to XP and was stuck with the following error:

Fatal Error : e:\1386\asms - parameter is incorrect.

And the setup stopped. I then cancelled the setup and restored my 98 to my C Drive. I tried upgrading my 2000 when I encountered the same error halfway through.

However this time I am unable to cancel the XP setup and restore my 2000. Everytime I start my computer I used to get the options to choose the OS. Now I get the options as Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 but does not allow enough time to choose. In a flash of a second it goes to Windows XP, restarts the setup and then closes with the same above error. I have to be very very fast to choose the OS to 98, which I did this time to post this message.

Can somebody give me the solution to restore my 2000 to my D Drive. I had installed the 2000 only for my itunes software and does not use it much. I would be happy if you could give me a solution to continue my upgrade to XP in both my drives and how to get rid of the error above.

Help please.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You should be able to bootup using just the XP cd.. Is your XP cd original or a copy you or someone made for you( different startup and install requirements)

Murray

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks for the quick reply. It was a copy.

I tried booting up with the XP CD.........but as I said the XP restarts setup and stops with the above message.

Edited by bengaluru, 03 July 2005 - 09:00 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Thanks for the quick reply.  It was a copy.

I

View Post

Sorry, but we don't support the use of pirated software.. Thus, your support will end now..

Buy a legal copy and use that !!!

Murray

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks. But at lease can you tell me how to restore to my earlier versions.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Boot using a Win98 boot floppy.. When you get to a:>/ prompt, type in fdisk /mbr

That will get you back into Win98.. Then use your Win2000 cd (assuming it is legal) and boot from it.. Re-install it to the proper partition..

Murray

bengaluru

bengaluru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Much appreciated