Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2002 can't send mail to Yahoo

• Please log in to reply

rmj55

rmj55

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just reloaded Windows XP and Office XP (including Outlook 2002). I've been using Outlook with my Yahoo mail account for years. I use POP3 to download Yahoo mail to Outlook. I built an e-mail account in Outlook with Pop.mail.yahoo.com as incoming mail server and smpt.mail.yahoo.com as outgoing server, following the instructions from Yahoo, including "my outgoing server requires authentication". I can read mail but I can't send. When I test account settings in the email account build dialog box, I get an indication that my "from" email address is incorrect, but I know I typed it in correctly. It's the same email address I've been using for years. When I send and receive in Outlook I get error code 0x800CCC78, which seems to indicate a problem with my "from" email address. Interestingly, If I create a new message and view the "From" box and type in my email address, the message sends correctly. Outlook doesn't seem to be putting the correct "from" email address in. Any help? :tazz:

Advertisements

Chronos0001

Chronos0001

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
OOOOPS you did not do your homework... here is what happened:

Earlier versions of Outlook did have the feature of linking up with webbed based accounts. Unfortunately, spammers have closed that window. Microsoft has disabled the webbed based feature (hotmail, yahoo) unless you have a premium account.

You can still use Outlook express, but not the Full Outlook program.

For more information, visit the Microsoft website, and view the feature of MSN Plus.

Sorry dude.

rmj55

rmj55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks Chronos: actually the problem went away, so I think it was a temporary deal with Yahoo. I do have a premium account with them that allows POP3. Now I think it was coincidental, but I had just done so much reloading work I just assumed any problem I was seeing was caused by me. 1 week after the reload (I swapped out a motherboard and processor, so had to reload everything), I'm semi-happily back to normal except for one thing -- I lost my Contacts, Inbox and Sent Mail from Outlook. I thought if I just saved my .psts I'd get them saved but I guess not. I'm sure I'll do this again. Any tips for doing it better next time? rj