I have a problem on my laptop. My NortonAntivirus (my subscription is valid) is noting a Trojan file called desktop.html and displaying a message which I can't do anything with; I can't seem to get rid of the file.
It also appears to have hijacked my wallpaper not allowing me to change it (it flashes alternately white to gray). When I right click on it for properties its address is recorded as file://C:\WINDOWS\Web\desktop.html.
I have tried NortonAntivirus' solution with no effect (this has involved scanning and deleting desktop.html and other detected viruses in safe mode) with systemrestore switched off.
I have also noticed a file called updatelavasoft.exe which needs manually ending often when I shut down the computer.
I have been to your initial page which sets out instructions of what to do before posting a hijackthis log. So far I have done the following:
1. Ran Cleanup
2. Ran AdAware SE, recorded the log and quarantined problems found.
3. Ran CWshredder (which found nothing)
4. Updated and ran spybot and DSO Exploit fix
5. Tried to use Panda scan - it is reading an error on the page and not scanning
6. I've scanned for updates on Microsoft's website and am not finding that I need the sp1a service pack.
7. I have downloaded TD3 but am getting an error every time I try to install it.
I'm not sure what to try next so attach a hijackthis log in the hope that someone can have a look at it and help, which would would be very much appreciated!