Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SONY DVD RW DW-U18A drive

• Please log in to reply

Jofus

Jofus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a SONY DVD RW DW-U18A drive.
I don't have any trouble reading and writing DVD's but it fails to recognise and read or write to CD's.

I keep getting the message 'There is no disc inserted in this drive' when there is a disc inserted.

Has anybody else had this problem and more important can anybody help?

Advertisements

coqauvin

coqauvin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If your drive spins at a max. endlessly, the problem is probably the support you are feeding your drive. I would try a better quality CD. But don't stop reading, the problem may be elsewhere (too).

You are not the only one not getting satisfaction with CDs that are old or of poor quality in respect to the DVD drive operating modes for CD burning.

Your problem seems to be poping up on other hardware forums too as I have seen others report the same problem with Pioneer D109 drives and mine is a D107 which also has problems writing MP3 to CDs. On the other hand, my Benq seems to work fine writing music to CDs -and with Sony CDs.

Manufacturers aren't making public this problem, that's for sure.

Now, if we all returned our drives at the same time...
If you just bought this drive, run down to the store and ask for an exchange, quick like! And shove the problem under their unbelieving eyes. ;)

Be aware of this when you buy a DVD burner and use CDs for burning music. Ask for a demo or assurance that you can burn MP3 to CDs -that will be read on CD readers (because a CD burned and read on your DVD burner may not be read on other home or car CD drive).

Or don't throw away your CDRW drive just yet! :tazz:

Does Nero tools show ASPI program in GREEN (accepted) for your drive?
Some drives accept to work properly only in Master mode in the IDE connections.

Edited by coqauvin, 16 July 2005 - 03:44 PM.