Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

McAfee and Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply

shoesite

shoesite

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: IE is my default browser, McAfee updates are being blocked by Mozilla Firefox- why and what can I do?

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
If it is Firefox giving you problems, uninstall it. But first make sure that it is really Firefox that's the trouble. For one - it is a browser, nothing more. If there's anything preventing you from updating McAfee, it should most likely be a firewall or some other anti-malware program, not Firefox.

In fact, I'd actually suggest you stop using IE altogether, and switch to making Firefox your default browser instead. I've been using Firefox for months and it has worked like a dream for me so far. I just don't see how it can be blocking McAfee updates - it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by cassykins, 03 July 2005 - 06:59 PM.

fevvers

fevvers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, my McAfee hasn't displayed and downloaded properly lately. Customer Service people tell me it only works with Internet Explorer as default browser, and I should best deinstall all other browsers and my old McAfee installation, and then reinstall McAfee with only IE as standard browser.

Personally, I think I'm going to pass, keep using Firefox and get a better (i.e. thorough, but more compatible) antivirus program.

But I'm still wondering what's the matter. A possible issue: McAfee makes use of ActiveX elements. But although Internet Explorer has never been my standard browser that wasn't a problem until recently.

I did tighten IEs security options at one point, restricting ActiveX elements (I'm not sure but the problems may have started then). I have reset those options by now - no effect whatsoever on my McAfee issue.

Has someone encountered and solved the problem? And if there is no cure, recommendations for a better antivirus program, anyone?

Zimo

Zimo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same issue when I set the security internet levels to "high" on IE...Readjusted to Med, ops normal

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Customer Service people tell me it only works with Internet Explorer as default browser, and I should best deinstall all other browsers and my old McAfee installation, and then reinstall McAfee with only IE as standard browser.

Uninstall all alternative browsers - and stick to IE as your standard browser? That's all a load of garbage, seriously. There are far better - and free - anti-virus programs out there which don't demand for you to stick to one standard browser just so you can get your updates.

Norton AntiVirus 2005 doesn't force me to use IE to download my updates, neither does AVG free. I don't think Avast does, either. The last two that I mentioned are also highly recommended as free anti-virus solutions - AVG especially. Updates are frequent, quick, and do not require any specific browser to be accessed to.

fevvers

fevvers

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm sure all of those are better options than McAfee (the trouble it gave me when I uninstalled it reminded me of cleanup procedures you've got to go through when getting rid of a virus :tazz: ). I decided to try Kapersky and like it much better than McA and Norton (excellent user control and reporting and no nuisance when performing common routines).