Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Case: POWMAX CP0327PL-4 Mid Tower or
POWMAX 702 MATRIX CP702-7 Mid Tower

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice core

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939

HD: Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM SATAII

Video card: BFG Tech Geforce 6800GT 256MB PCI Express

Memory: CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR 400

PSU: Antec NeoPower ATX 480W Power Supply

Cd/DVD: LITE-ON DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S

Extras: D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless Adapter

this is what i plan on ordering for my new PC, any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. all parts are being ordered from newegg unless someone knows anywhere cheaper for something

my plan is to get another 6800GT for the sli later(maybe), and also upgrade to dual core.
would like to get the 64x2 but i kno they just came out and it's not in my budget at this time
:-(

also what are your views on SLi, do you think it's being given too much hype?

Edited by humorsavesmysoul, 03 July 2005 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah SLi was definately given alot more hype than it deserves , but for nvidia that has been good it just means they have further to fall when crossfire jumps up and down on it. Sli isnt very user friendly as cards have to be completely identical down to batch number in alot of cases, in any case they have to be the same make and if not identical to batch you need to flash both cards bios.

You really dont need 2gb of memory with that setup it would kinf of be out of place with the system, i would get the 1gb and then when you upgrade to an x2 replace it with more/better ram.

The antec PSUs are good but at least over here they are priced at a premium and there are superior and cheaper alternatives, antec psus are a steal when they come with a case but on there own they arent so good value i think, still good though, but in the 480W psu range there is alot to choose.

Although this is a personal thing: do you really like that case it looks like an Aopen on speed, mind you im a sucker for pretty cases.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Found a different case that doesn't "look like an Aopen on speed" lol changed the ram from 2GB to 1GB. also gonna get a TV tuner card

Case: APEX SK337-A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB)

TV tuner: COMPRO VideoMate TV PVR/FM

Edited by humorsavesmysoul, 03 July 2005 - 08:06 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That case is much better alothough it comes with a PSU which is something to be wary of: the PSUs that come with cases are usually generic and not the best, mind you recently the quality of generic PSUs included with cases has gone up.

Yeah the compro 300 card got a decent review, i might get one myself the ability to turn your pc on and off by remote is quite the novelty.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ive read that you should be cautious of the psu's that come with cases so that's why i was going to go with an antec psu

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are going with an antec PSU you would be as well getting a antec case as they usually come with the PSUs included and are the best value for money otherwise there are probably cheaper brands, for some reason antec PSUs are more expensive when bought seperately.

humorsavesmysoul

humorsavesmysoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
finally settled on a case and a power supply
ordering this setup 2mrw, costing me a lil under $1300

Case: Thermaltake SViking VA4000BWS ATX Mid Tower

CPU: AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice core

MOBO: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939

HD: SAMSUNG 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive

Video card: BFG Tech Geforce 6800GT 256MB PCI Express

Memory: Kingston ValueRam 1GB(2x512)

PSU: Thermaltake 460W Power Supply

Cd/DVD: LITE-ON DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S

Extras: D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless Adapter

will be doing a dual windows install with 32bit and 64bit versions in case of 64bit driver issues...but that's the least of my worries X-D

Edited by humorsavesmysoul, 04 July 2005 - 10:44 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I really really wouldnt waste your time and effort with x64 OS, microsoft released it far to early and they arent going to fix it before longhorn and it actually slows your computer rather than speeding it up.
Otherwise looks good, kingston ram always seems pricey to me especially compared to the superior corrsair and ocz stuff but it might be cheap where you are, Patriot apparently make some really good ram that will best corsiar and ocz stuff and it was pretty cheap too. Doesnt make much difference just thought it was worth a mention.