Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BT Voyager 205 and PC gameing

• Please log in to reply

Billy10Men

Billy10Men

• Pip
  • 2 posts
BT voyager 205 is a great router, however a few default settings need changing for many online games to start working correctly.

Posts will suggest putting your ip address into the DMZ Demilitarized zone etc, however this is not a good idea, the security settings are there for your protection!

Below is a website with helpful hints on setting the finer points of the voyager 205

http://corz.org/comm...uter.how-to.php

The settings below will get your router working with most games inc BF2 and ASE / Gamespy etc.
First telnet into your router by following this link:

telnet://192.168.1.1/

you will be prompted for a username and pass, admin admin
(and yes its secure, only your local network can access unless you unlock your DMZ!)

input these commands:

modify nbsize maxipsess 512

modify nat global udptimeout 4

commit

reboot

now close the window and the router will take approx 60 secs to reboot and your'll be back online gameing without a problem.

The routers default settings are max ips at anytime 192 which you've changed to the routers maximum 512
udp time out is set to 300 secs now changed to 4, so each query is now droped after 4 seconds (don't go any lower or PunkBuster won't like it)

Without the change just loading the server lists on any game will lock up your connection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you struggleing with the NAT for p2p fileshareing etc. Check out the recipies page on the above link /\

Here is an example for setting up for eMule:

telnet in: telnet://192.168.1.1/ then enter these commands:

create nat rule entry ruleid 100000 napt

create ipf rule entry ruleid 4662 ifname public dir in act accept transprot eq tcp destport eq num 4662 seclevel high medium low

create ipf rule entry ruleid 4672 ifname public dir in act accept transprot eq udp destport eq num 4672 seclevel high medium low

create nat rule entry ruleid 4662 rdr lcladdrfrom 192.168.1.3 lcladdrto 192.168.1.3 destportfrom num 4662 destportto num 4662

create nat rule entry ruleid 4672 rdr lcladdrfrom 192.168.1.3 lcladdrto 192.168.1.3 destportfrom num 4672 destportto num 4672

commit

reboot

now you should have a high id, if you also have your connection running to a wireless access point or other router you would need to unlock the ports in there also.
Test your voyagers working first by wireing it directly to computer with out anything else.

Please make sure you enter the above settings exactly and I stress use this at your own risk. (they work for me :tazz:

Edited by Billy10Men, 03 July 2005 - 12:52 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I cant believe you actually said the 205 is a great router, even BT have admitted its pashness. Why should you have to do anything to a router after you spend a decent amount money on getting one in the first place, when all the other routers out there work out the box.

Easiest way to fix it is to eliminate the 205 entirely it is inferior and should be binned as quick as possible. The best way to individual problem solving is to go on the chat helpine and talk to the great muhamed and he will fix all problems for you until you can get a new router.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
THANK YOU BILLY!!! I do not own, and will never own a BT router, but I must say, after reading post, after post, after post of people having the exact same problems over and over, I just hope that your post can help people having problems. The BT routers, from what I have seen, have been responsible for at least 25% of the posts in this forum. I would never recommend buying one, but for those of you that have them, this definetly looks like something I would try. I have never used the BT modem so I cannot agree that it is crap. From the posts here, I would be led to that conclusion, but if Billy's information here can help most of you on your BT router issues I hope the admin's add this as a sticky! Any piece of crap can be nice if you fix it. LOL!! Also warrior, there isn't a piece of hardware out there that is "flawless". They wouldn't put the telnet option in there if people didn't need it. Don't forget, progress contains the letters POS, if everything worked perfectly from the get go, there would be billions of people without jobs. If you are using "out-of-box" settings, you may want to reconsider. Defaults are dead givaways.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Edited by Greazy, 04 July 2005 - 01:31 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
When you are paying a decent amount of money for something it should work out the box for most people though. Yeah from what ive seen though each router needs configured differently i know people with the same problems i had on mine but the same fix didnt work. The only good thing about the BT routers is that the online techsupport is excellent they are prompt and always willing to fix tell you how to fix the slightest problems.

bendavies619

bendavies619

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
where do u add the commands??? Thx 4 this thread by the way, i have been stuck on this for almost a year!!!!!

Billy10Men

Billy10Men

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
just copy telnet://192.168.1.1/

and paste into your browsers address bar e.g ie6

this will open a small dos window with a prompt for username and password

If you want just copy the command and paste in by pressing ctrl +v

In quick reply to warriorscot, these modem/routers are mainly supplied free when you first sign up to Broadband.
Once the settings are changed they work without problems. So why go and pay another £40-£80 just for a couple of parameters set incorrectly in the software?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No they dont they need configured differnetly for most people as there are at least 5-6 different versions from different manufacturers. The bt techsupport guy got mine fixed for me so mine works just fine usually, im still getting a new one though as they are too hot and are prone to hardware failure: This on has a fault that it has to have finished its diagnostic before the computer can be turned on/connected and it cant be fixed by a software tweek. I would rather pay 40-80 pounds for more Ethernet ports wireless internet FREE techsupport and some good bundled software, and the ability to leave it on overnight without worrying that you router is going to burn your house down in your sleep. And they arent all free they actually include it as part of your broadband bill after a while the bill will go down by a couple of pounds when you have paid for the router.

Oh and you can only fully configure the router when the USB is connected so make sure it is plugged in to the computer you are using.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 July 2005 - 02:53 PM.

bendavies619

bendavies619

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
For 1 thing wat is ie6? And the second thing, when i paste the address into my browser it doesnt open an ms-dos screen, it opens the BT Voyager 205 Configuration Manager!

Edited by bendavies619, 07 July 2005 - 11:39 AM.

bendavies619

bendavies619

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I think ive found it, 1 min, i entered it into RUN!

bendavies619

bendavies619

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i cant believe it that after a year of not being able 2 play online games u have fixed it 4 me, ure a real star m8 thx v.much :tazz:

Nick_C

Nick_C

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So would this work for the msn gaming zone only i heard you cannot open enough ports to run this

diarno

diarno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
BT Voyager 205 is infact inferior. Advice to all is not to buy the upcoming BT 220V.
the easiest way to access the modem is to type voyager.home in the url bar.
this will give you the modem settings.
all can be changed from here.
Any problems please ask, well working on these for Bt at the moment should help a great deal :tazz: