Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp activation issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

angelita1212

angelita1212

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, here's my problem. I recieved a copy of windows xp pro from the MSDN academic alliance through my university. I installed this copy on my computer. I activated it and all is fine. I gave the cd to my friend to install on his computer. However, he is using the same product key that i used. If he tries to activate his copy of windows, it will come invalid right?
What will happen if he doesn't activate windows, will it stop working?

Thanks for all your help,
Angela

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

The key may or may not work but they would have to phone Microsoft for the activation code and then explain why they are trying to put an already activated XP on their system.. Not good.. It may also jeopardize the schools licensing and then you would have ALOT of explaining to do !!

As for working, it might work for a max of 30 days or it may not work at all..

BTW.. what you are trying is known as "pirating" and Microsoft takes a VERY dim view of anyone doing it.. I strongly suggest you get the disk back asap.

Murray

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
You are not allowed to install XP from one disk on more that one computer what you did was wrong. I hope yout topic gets closed.

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Just call up Microsoft. Tell them what you want and they will activate it for you. I have done it over and over for a while now.
Worked fine for me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Just call up Microsoft. Tell them what you want and they will activate it for you.  I have done it over and over for a while now.
Worked fine for me.

View Post

I sure hope you aren't condoning piracy here SAAB !!

Murray

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I'm not. Just telling that it worked for me.

angelita1212

angelita1212

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just to clarify for all of you, i do not condone piracy. I gave my friend this cd to test on his computer where his whole hard drive was wiped out due to a virus and he did not have his oem cd's. The installation didn't take anyway because the hard drive is fried. He has since gotten a new computer with a legal version.

Thanks for all your suggestions,
Angela

ps - microsoft should at least allow installation on 2 computers, especially for people like me who are trying to upgrade 2 computers.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

ps - microsoft should at least allow installation on 2 computers, especially for people like me who are trying to upgrade 2 computers.

View Post

I am sure you can do this. Like you can for other programs and bye two lisense, for a bit more more money.

I hate microsft like anything but you can not do what is iligal no matter what microsft dose in the way of makeing bad software.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 July 2005 - 09:33 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Just call up Microsoft. Tell them what you want and they will activate it for you.  I have done it over and over for a while now.
Worked fine for me.

View Post

M/S will HELP people pirate their software?? That just doesn't seem right. In any case, GeeksToGo is ADAMANT about not helping anyone who has issues regarding an illegal copy of Windows.

Closing this topic.