Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 fails to run

• Please log in to reply

Cornelius

Cornelius

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm running Windows 2000, and have been doing so successfully for several months.

Now, whenever I boot up the computer, the preliminary startup processes go fine, but when the Windows 2000 logo is shown and Windows tries to run, it stops and I'm faced with a blue screen on which is printed:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011,0x00000007,0xEB44088D,0x0100000C)
The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification. Please read the README.TXT for possible workarounds. You can also contact your system's manufacturer for an updated BIOS, or visit http://www.hardware-update.com to see if a new BIOS is available.

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.

Yesterday I got my laptop a new battery and replaced the old one, and began charging it. Today I started up the computer and it worked as it usually does. I doubt the battery's the problem but I'm still including this because I might, of course, be wrong.

Anyway, the first time I turned it on today, I found that there were some Windows updates I hadn't installed. It appeared that they'd already been downloaded and merely awaited my OK before they'd be installed. I'm far more accustomed to Win 98 though, and this may have been an incorrect assumption.
I installed the updates, rebooted the computer, and it worked fine.
About 15 minutes later, it stopped completely, displayed the windows logo for a few seconds, then brought me to the blue screen described above. I could find no way to make the computer respond, so I held the power button to shut it off. Every time I try to boot, the blue screen returns and I'm forced to hold the power button again.

I've tried:
Booting with the old battery
Booting with the AC plug
Booting without my wireless network card

I also booted from a Win 98 emergency boot disk I have, it decided that drive C was inaccessable.
Same with the old DOS boot disk.

Most sources claim that I should follow the instructions the blue screen has printed on it, but:
I can't access any README.TXT because I can't access the hard drive.
I don't know what "text mode setup" is.

Advertisements

Cornelius

Cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Got a W2K emergency boot system online in 4 floppy-sized packets. Same error.

Don't own W2K CD, 'cause I purchased the laptop used with the system already on it. My other PCs use Win 98 or 95.

Edited by Cornelius, 04 July 2005 - 12:14 PM.

Cornelius

Cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Ended up taking it to a shop. The people there removed the hard drive, took the files I wanted off of it, and they're going to re-format it and install Windows 98 instead. :tazz: