Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp game issues

• Please log in to reply

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
am running windows xp home. my roommate is running xp pro on his computer. we recently got a router so we could both use the dsl connection at the same time. funny thing about this is, his computer can see mine on the network, mine can't see his. in multiplayer games, mine won't even come up as a playabale computer. i can create a session, or he can, either way, mine isn't visible. i have tried to find fixes for this on other sites, was hoping you guys could help.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It might be your fire wall, mine used to always muck up playing multipayer games.
Just check if the game is alowed.

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
nope, not the firewall. i don't use a firewall. i have also disabled the windows firewall recently becuase it was interfering with other programs that i use. i virusscan often, as well as check for rootkits. i have about 6 different diagnostic programs that i run to keep things going smoothly, and so far, no problems show up on any of them. hopefully I can get this fixed, the new router is great, helps tons.

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
lol you dont use a firewall how stupid

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
hav u checked the netwrk setting , hav u installed the sp2 or any updates???

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thx for the no help reply, quoting on how stupid I am. if you knew anything, you would know my system is more clean then most. come on over sometime, i can show you. [bleep] noob.

as for the service packs, yes, have installed all windows updates, have gone to 6 or 7 websites listing xp networking solutions. so far, no luck. this site was suggested to me, so i figured i'd try it out. maybe there is no solution other then removing microsoft from the planet. what's with releasing bugged software?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I like your last coment about removeing microsoft from the planet, the sooner the better. It has been no end of problems for me because of buggs in software from microsot, I would rather get a virus and the effects of the virus that what microsoft software has done to my computer (it killed it).

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 July 2005 - 09:28 PM.

meh209

meh209

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]you have 6 anti-virus programs? that's utterly useless and a waste of proccessor power and memory. maybe try disabling all but one of the anti-virus programs and see if that'll help. anti-virus programs have been known to block out online app's whether it hides you while online or just blocks the program from connecting. although my info may not be 100% accurate, I'm no computer technition or anything. I've had problems with multiple anti-virus myself and having multiple anti-virus... I really don't think you should bother with anymore than 2 anti-virus programs. so this is not to be taken as a garentee fix, it might help though. please excuse my spelling.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe we could concentrate on the problem at hand, fellas?

First things first..

One network, two computers...
XP home
XP Pro

XP home--cannot see XP pro
XP Pro--CAN see XP home

Correct?

First, is file and print sharing on for both computers ?

Does XP Pro have USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING checked

Open MY COMPUTER, TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS > VIEW, scroll down to the bottom and check USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry if i was unclear. i have 6 programs that diagnose and fix problems. registry cleaner, hijackthis, rootkitrevealer, stinger, safe xp by theorica, and adaware se personal. between all these, and sometimes a few more programs, i can usually get a good idea of what's wrong with my system. i am on a router now, that has a hardware firewall, so this is why i don't opt for a software version. i have tried disabling all but essential programs in task manager, i have cleared out the startup file, so that only windows starts, and i pick and choose everything on top of that. not sure if its an inherent problem with xp home version? i have scoured forums and i am not the only one that has had this problem. i place a huge chunk of the blame on microsofts virtual desk. this is your issue, why is there no fix by now? xp home has been out for how long? holy beejebus.

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
to respond to the geekstogo staff post. yes, you understand the issue clearly. xp home cannot see xp pro computer, one network. xp pro can see home. i have gone through many forums, done the simple file sharing fix, printer sharing, network set up wizard (which is a nightmare, i would suggest never use this, windows wizard is inherently useless in my eyes). have tried a quick fix with xp pro network settings, going into a dos prompt and allowing anonymous user access on the network, denying outside access. have tried the other way around. whole time scanning and checking. windows itself says it is operational, no problems. I laugh every time i see that.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please stick to the question at hand.

The hardware firewall is irrelevent if you have it set up correctly regarding the two OSs not seeing each other since the firewall is between both computers and the Internet, and not between the two computers.

Are you near these computers now or not?

If so, please check that Xp Pro is set as directed (both machines are set to simply file sharing.

Also, Create a folder on each machine. On Xp Pro, called it SHAREPRO, right click it and share the folder. On Xp Home, called it SHAREHOME, right click it and share the folder.

Then, right click on MY COMPUTER on both computers. Choose COMPUTER NAME, hit the change button.

On Xp Pro, change the name to XPproPC, change the WORKGROUP to TEST, hit apply and reboot

On Xp Home, change the name to XPhomePC, change the WORKGROUP to TEST, hit apply and reboot

This is so we are starting from a known position.

Do you see each other?

hufusmcgerth

hufusmcgerth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes, we see each other. all your suggestions, i have already done. there is a folder called shared ocean on my desktop. on his, it's shared jade. both simple file sharing is enabled. the computers are in rooms that are literally 4 feet apart.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, one problem is solved?