Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help! Lots of pop-ups! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya ;) ;) :help: :help: :help:

Brilliant, we are getting somewhere now at last. :tazz:

Ok, i am going to get the next part of the fix sorted out for you. In the meantime, I need you to please download a new scanner. This has been developed specifically for L2M/VX2 infections on ME systems. Please install it, but do not run it yet.

Go to this page. Download and unzip Findit9x-ME, but dont run it yet.

UKBiker

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
What is the full name and filepath of the .dat file please?

UKBiker

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
C:\WINDOWS\USER

It's not in any other folder or anything!

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Good Morning!

I did not find either of these files

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\upd206.tmp
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\upd207.tmp

Angela

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Good! :tazz:

I must have missed it earlier, but what is the name of the .DAT file that's in this folder: C:\WINDOWS\USER ? Or is it C:\WINDOWS\USER.DAT?

I also need you to unzip and run FindIt9xME that Ukbiker posted about previously and post the log here for me. ;)

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello!

The file is named USER; it is a file not a folder.

The complete path is C:\WINDOWS\USER.DAT

Here's the log from FindIt9xME:

File not found

Beginning Strings.exe search...this portion of the search
can take several minutes, please allow it to run until
the log appears.
File creation error
header.txt
system.txt
hidden.txt
useragent.txt
locate.txt
qoologic.txt
aspack.txt
umonitor.txt
runkey.txt
1 file(s) copied
Cannot find file 'output.txt' (or one of its components). Check
to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available.

Thanks,
Angela

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
User.dat in the Windows folder is a legitimate file for ME.

Also, I'm not sure what you did, but you don't copy what's on the screen, you copy the notepad it produces after it's done running - which can take quite some time because the log is huge.

If for some reason a log file does not appear (after waiting about 30 minutes), then the FindIt9XME is not working properly on your computer, so I need you to run ActiveScan again and post the log for me. :tazz:

By the way, what kinds of problems are you having now (if any)?

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
The Panda scan is CLEAN! Didn't find a thing!

I haven't had any pop-ups today either!

I've restarted the computer several times to make sure something doesn't start back up but so far, so good!

When I searched the system before, I just put for it to find any file containing the text Nictech. It had the USER.dat file in the results as the only file. I wasn't sure if it had changed something in the settings but I think it may just be a MRU list or something with the items I've searched! Could that be why that file comes back in the results?

Thanks,
Angela

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

I wasn't sure if it had changed something in the settings but I think it may just be a MRU list or something with the items I've searched! Could that be why that file comes back in the results?

Yes :tazz:

In Windows 95, 98, and Me the windows registry is saved by the name user.dat and system.dat which is located in windows directory. User.dat contains user specific information - the MRUs are stored in the registry ;)

I'm glad you're no longer receiving pop-ups! We need to get you some protection programs now!
Please post one more HiJackThis log for me as well. ;)

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications:

Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware <= If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.
Prevention Programs:
  • Spywareblaster <= SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed.
  • Spywareguard <= SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
Other necessary Programs:

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I've downloaded your recommendations and installed all of them except for SpywareBlaster. Is this the same kind of program as SpySweeper? If so, I'm going to finish using SpySweeper for my trial period and then install the other.

Below is the new HJT log!

Thanks again for all of your assistance!
Angela

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:42:22 PM, on 7/20/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WBEM\WINMGMT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT\CPQEADM.EXE
C:\COMPAQ\CPQINET\CPQINET.EXE
C:\CPQS\BWTOOLS\SCCENTER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOTIVE\MOTMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HIDSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\BROADJUMP\CLIENT FOUNDATION\CFD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB07.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\INSTALLSHIELD\UPDATESERVICE\ISSCH.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT\BTTNSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\FINEPIXVIEWER\QUICKDCF.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ\EASY ACCESS BUTTON SUPPORT\EAUSBKBD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMPAQ KNOWLEDGE CENTER\BIN\MPBTN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YMSGR_TRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACK THIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://desktop.presa...onsumer&LC=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Hidserv] Hidserv.exe run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\cpqeadm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EACLEAN] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\eaclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQInet] c:\compaq\CPQInet\CpqInet.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service Connection] c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MotiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\Motive\motmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LexmarkPrinTray] PrinTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\INSTALLSHIELD\UPDATESERVICE\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SmcService] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SYGATE\SPF\SMC.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Startup: Compaq Knowledge Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq Knowledge Center\bin\silent.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YHEXBMES0521.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .pps: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\NPDOC.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O12 - Plugin for .ppt: C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\PLUGINS\NPDOC.DLL
O16 - DPF: {F5C90925-ABBF-4475-88F5-8622B452BA9E} (Compaq System Data Class) - http://www29.compaq....co/SysQuery.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Literati - http://download.game...nts/y/tt3_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {0854D220-A90A-466D-BC02-6683183802B7} (PrintPreview Class) - http://cat.fnismls.c...rintControl.cab
O16 - DPF: {F7A05BAC-9778-410A-9CDE-BFBD4D5D2B7F} (iPIX Media Send Class) - http://216.249.24.60...geWell-ipix.cab
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by11fd.bay11....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {7D1E9C49-BD6A-11D3-87A8-009027A35D73} (Yahoo! Audio UI1) - http://chat.yahoo.com/cab/yacsui.cab
O16 - DPF: {2B323CD9-50E3-11D3-9466-00A0C9700498} (Yahoo! Audio Conferencing) - http://us.chat1.yimg...v45/yacscom.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {EB387D2F-E27B-4D36-979E-847D1036C65D} (QDiagHUpdateObj Class) - http://h30043.www3.h.../qdiagh.cab?326
O16 - DPF: {BAC01377-73DD-4796-854D-2A8997E3D68A} (Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.c...ropper1_6us.cab
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/viewers/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...l_v1-0-3-24.cab
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://support2.char...oad/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab

Advertisements

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Actually, SpywareBlaster isn't anything like SpySweeper. All you do is install it, update it, then click "enable all protection" - you will never even know it's there, seriously! It doesn't have to be run at all, it does it's job just from being installed. It prevents ad/tracking cookies, bad ActiveX controls from installing, and prevents ad/tracking from unwanted adware/spyware sites. It can safely be installed with the programs you have now with no interference whatsoever. :tazz:

Also, would you like to remove optional items from startup to free system resources?

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Great! I'll go ahead and install it then!

I would love to remove some of that junk from startup! Been trying to figure out how!

Thanks,
Angela

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
My comments are in red. If you would like to leave any of them on startup don't put a check next to it ;)

Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following items and click FIX CHECKED:

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s <-This is a "scheduler" and does not turn off PC Health. For more information refer HERE Most likely this is of no use to you.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Service Connection] c:\cpqs\bwtools\sccenter.exe <-Part of Backweb. Not needed on startup.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe <-BroadJump Client Foundation. Broadband troubleshooting software installed by various companies. Not required.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\INSTALLSHIELD\UPDATESERVICE\issch.exe" -start <-InstallShield Update Service Scheduler; automatically searches for and performs any updates to the software so you’re always working with the most current version. Not required. You can update any of your software manually.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet <-For Yahoo Messenger. Can be started when needed by Going to Start > Programs.

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe" <-For MS Money. Can be started when needed by going to Start > Programs.

O4 - Startup: Compaq Knowledge Center.lnk = C:\Program Files\Compaq Knowledge Center\bin\silent.exe <-Support belonging to Compaq Knowledge Center, This program is a non-essential process, and is installed for ease of use.

Close HiJackThis.

Then you're good to go! Your system should be a bit faster now :tazz:

franklinagf

franklinagf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks again for all of your assistance!

It's nice talking with you guys but hopefully I won't have to be talking to you about fixing this computer again!

Thanks!
Angela

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
:tazz: You're very welcome! ;)

I'm happy we could help ;)