Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A Major Comp Problem...Need Help

• Please log in to reply

StormShadow

StormShadow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Here's the problem that I have on my computer....

I usually run my Spybot S&D periodically after I dealt with spyware that wiped out my System.ini file a few months back. Recently, my browser has been acting weird...it always get the "server not found" page on the first load and it takes forever to load certain pages. I'm thinking that my problem is spyware, so I run my Spybot S&D. It found one DSO Exploit entry, but removing it didn't solve anything. I look in my program list and found two programs that I've never seen before....OpinionSquare and Starware. I also found a folder with the title "Comet Systems". I removed OpinionSquare from my Add/Remove Programs list....but when I try to remove Starware, it will not go away at all.

I read about AdAware from another forum, so I downloaded it and hoped that it could fix my problem. I ran it from Safe Mode and it did find adware that Spybot S&D didn't get (BargainBuddy, Alexa, CometSystems, Roings, etc.). I removed them from my computer and got rid of the quarantine folder. Then I went into my Add/Remove programs listand successfully removed the programs. I rebooted the computer after this, but I recieved an error message and nothing but wallpaper instead of my desktop programs.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rpcss.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I press "ok" and the error message would not go away. It took forever for my desktop to load and the same message kept showing up. I tried to go online to find a solution, but I received the same error message.....only this time, it was "waol.exe" instead of Rpcss.exe. So no net access as well as an Rpcss Runtime error messages. I reboot and run the Safe mode....but received the same Rpcss Runtime Error message. And this time, I couldn't even get to my Desktop at all. I reboot and go to the command prompt screen, ran scanreg, and loaded a previous copy of my registry to restore everything....which also means that the adware is back and the same problems.

I thought that I may have deleted something in AdAware that I wasn't supposed to delete, so I ran it again and went through each entry instead of deleting everything. The same result happened...same Runtime error on both rpcss.exe and waol.exe. Restored registry and tried again....only this time, I didn't delete the quarantine file. Same result. I thought that the problem may be a virus, so I did a virus scan online and scanned my entire computer. It found two Trojan viruses on my comp and got rid of them. I ran both Spybot S&D and AdAware again and the adware was deleted. I rebooted and while the Desktop loaded faster, the same error messages came back to torment me. When I loaded my older registry and went to Windows, the CometSystems folder is gone....but Starware and OpinionSquare are still on my comp.

I tried looking for help, but I've been unsuccessful and I can't think of any way to fix this. I don't know what to do and I keep getting the same result with no solution <_<

Advertisements

StormShadow

StormShadow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok....I managed to fix the Runtime error problems and spyware program issues on my own. I still need some help with one thing, but I'll post in the HijackThis forum on here.

eric_mw

eric_mw

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime error!

C\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Rpcss.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

View Post

Ok, I have a computer with the same error message and I have not found a way to get rid of it. You said you solved the problem I would like to know how you did it.

Thanks

eric_mw

eric_mw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I guess I should let you know that the computer has win98 on it.