Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Terminal Services - What's REALLY running with it?

• Please log in to reply

mcubitt

mcubitt

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I connect to a Windows Server using Terminal Services client, am I simply creating an additional session to that of the local log on?

If I reboot the server as a Terminal Service client am I only restarting that session or physically restarting the server?

I had attempted to restart a server while connected using VNC, so taking control of the current (local) session. Unfortunately Windows had failed to close one program and the server was in limbo. I was unable to VNC again since that application had ended. Same with netmeeting. However, I was able to Terminal Service in but I saw a program running which had not been running when I accessed the server via VNC (so I guess someone else had started the program while connected via Terminal Services previously!).

Sorry if that sounds confusing.. I’ll try to summarise:

1) Someone Terminal Service to server and starts Demand Planner, Export Documentation programs
2) They Exit Terminal Services
3) Days pass
4) I access the same server using VNC
5) I shut down Demand Planner and Export Documentation programs in the normal way one would expect (these start when the server starts)
6) The server fails to shut down
7) VNC is shut down
8) Netmeeting is not available (even restart of service doesn’t work)
9) I use Terminal Service to access the server, logging on as Administrator
10) I see Demand Planner and Export Documentation programs running so I shut them down
11) I restart Server

Eventually the server did shut down and restart but I ran psshutdown several times which may have helped but it may have just been busy shutting down.

The sessions which started the applications via Terminal Service – was this running additional versions of the applications to those which were local?

Advertisements