Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! Unmountable boot volume, hal.dll error

• Please log in to reply

BBsquirL

BBsquirL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I am a dumbass, well not really but when it comes to all the technical stuff of computers i am indeed a dumbass. I have looked to find the solution to my problem and the answers werent detailed enough. I need someone to tell me each little step because I have no idea what to do. Oh yes..my problem is that I have a Dell LAtitude and when I start it it goes to the DELL screen then to the microsoft screen that says "please select operating system to start - windows xp pro or windows xp pro ( vga mode)" This is normal b/c i had to install windows a second time and since then I have had to do that, so anyway i choose the first then ita goes to the "we apologize for the inconvienence blah blah and asks to choose 3 safe modes, last known, start normally. No matter what it flashes a blue screen and reboots. After i realized that i couldnt see that blue screen i went to f8 from the first screen that i choose the system to choose, then it gives me more choices of 3 safe modes, enable boot loging, anable vga, last known, directery serv., debugging mode, disable auto restart...., so I choose the ladder and i finally get to see the blue screen and it says problem detected windows shut down to protect damage to comp. error is unmountable boot volume. asks to check soft and hardware blah blah...tech info ***stop: 0x000000ED (0x83322900, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) from there cant even turn it off. I take battery out and start again and So like a dumbass I go from the Dell screen to F2 setup, I messed with everything over a course of two days so I dont really know what the original setup was but im pretty sure that of all the boot drivers the order was cd/dvd/cd-rw drive was first then internal hdd and then the rest were disabled, and all the other settings were messed with by my husband too. SO I reboot and try thr vga mode and it tells me the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt and to re-install
so i get a copy of the file and still nothing I cant type anything in the command prompt screen and I have tried everything and nothing. I did try a diagnostics and all the test pass then it says no diagnostic utilitty partition foundthen tell me to insert dell drivers and utilities cd. So anyhow I dont have it nor can i find my windows xp cd and dell wont help b/c apparently my computer was reported stolen and i couldnt even get the name of the company from which it was stolen from nor could they tell them so as a shock to me since I bought it from my crack dealer and thought I could trust him not to sell me something stolen. This expalins why bluetooth is missing ok this doesnt matter. I need help If someone could tell me the original boot setup for the BIOS A02, or could tell me how to fix my computer with the least amount of cost if any I would be so grateful, I will let you have my whole limewire music/video collection or anything else geeky I just need a very patient person and whoever actually read this whole thing is probably patient enough for me. So for those who can help me please please please......im lost without my Depeche Mode music Library and my Craigslist. I use it for work and stuff too. Thank you in advance and I apologize in advance for not being able to give you the minutes back that you wasted reading my nonsense. Thank you and if you help Ill be your best friend. = )

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
well as far as I can see you have lost your hal.dll which is a very important part in loading Win XP.
This file can't be copied, this file will be compiled according to your machine specification.

Anyways, regarding your BIOS there should be an option within your BIOS (Main Menu usallay) to refer to the Default Settings. It should have the default settings saved up. So you can get all your settings back to normal as set by the manufacturer.

But for your bigger problem (i.e. booting to windows) I would think you will need to perform a repair at least, but you can't do the above unless you have an XP CD handy as it compairs files and it might need to copy things from the CD.

Do you have anyone you know with an XP CD?
I am not sure what to advice you, its hard especially when you can't boot into Windows.

Try the above and I will try to think of more solutions.

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
firstly set the bios to defaullt level.........and try safe mode with command prompt after it try to initialize explorer.exe by typing it on the prompt.....

>>Do watever try fullest to boot into windows ...as it's first step to solve the prob itself.............best of luck

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I would wait for one of the moderators to weigh in on this. I think I read awhile back that hal problems are caused by a corupt boot.ini file which can be repaired.....