Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

spyware on kid pix software?

• Please log in to reply

garfluver

garfluver

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Was talking with the computer lab instructor at my kids' school. She said she found out recently that KidPix software has built in spyware on it program. (Have any of you heard this??) I have KidPix on my computer and don't want it messing things up if it does. She mentioned downloading x-cleaner or x-clean (something like that) as the only thing she's found to remove it....but it only deletes it until you use it again??

Does she know what she's talking about? or is this not true?

Thanks,
Garfluver

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Your computer has a number of spyware programs that we need to remove. For more info on spyware see the Spyware FAQ link in my signature.

Let's start with a couple free programs.

Ad-aware. Open Ad-Aware and use the Check for updates now link. Download and accept the latest reference file. When finished click the Start button. When done scanning, the Abort button will change to Next. Click the Next button. Right-click in the Scanning Results window and click "Select all objects". Then click the "Next" button and confirm that you want to delete the selected entries.

Spybot Search & Destroy Download and install. Start Spybot S&D using the "Spybot-S&D (easy mode)" link from your Start menu . Click the Search for updates button, if any are found then click the Download Updates button. After all updates are downloaded, click the Check for problems button. When the scan is complete, place a check next to anything marked in red, then click the Fix selected problems button. You may need to run Spybot S&D multiple times to remove all infections.

When finished, Reboot your computer. Finally, reply to this post with a new HiJackThis log so we can look for any nasties that may have been missed. <_<

CLICK HERE to download Ad-aware
CLICK HERE to download Spybot S&D