Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access Websites( most of them anyway)

• Please log in to reply

The Pain

The Pain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I can only access some Websites but other websites will just not come up.

The Internet Connection and modem is fine. I don't have spyware e.t.c( I don't think so anyway). Some trojan horses were found recently but thats been sorted. System Restore is no use either.

I remember doing a Windows Update before the problem occured but I don't see how that will have affected me accessing the web properly.

I'm thinking its something to with Cookie settings but I've fiddled around with the privacy settings e.t.c. and I'm still having no luck.

I have both IE6 and Firefox and both giving the same problems. It doesn't make sense why I can access the IBM website but I can't access the Google website.

I'm accessing this site from another computer btw.

Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I can only access some Websites but other websites will just not come up.

Can you access secure web sites? Also when your not able to pull up the website what error messages does it display? Since you played with the settintgs Try reseting everything under all TABS in Internet Options then close IE and re open it.

don't have spyware e.t.c( I don't think so anyway).

You sound not sure. I would download Microsoft Windows Anti spyware from http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

or Adaware from www.lavasoft.de and spybot as well. When you use these applications I would recommend running these programs in SAFE MODE. :tazz:

I'm thinking its something to with Cookie settings but I've fiddled around with the privacy settings e.t.c.

If the cookie settings are misconfigured you will have this same issue. Some sites require cookies enabled some don't. Are you able to ping any website? Either by domain name or IP address? Could be corrupted winsock file as well. Need more info what OS you have? Try reseting TCP/IP stack by clicking on start, run, type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and reboot your PC. EDIT For various Internet Explorer repair's and fixes also the Admin had a real.ly nice one pinned somewher on this forum very nice.

http://www.geekstogo...oad-t41373.html

Edited by Irongeek, 04 July 2005 - 07:08 AM.

Oxymoron

Oxymoron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
it's all in netsh, giving credit where due
http://forums.techgu...ites-pages.html